Feeding Wild Birds

Pics
Second Phoebe has arrived, and there was lots of activity around the nest site. I'm thinking that nest building will start this week. Basset hound club is having a field trial this weekend so that will disrupt things for a bit. Must be a returning pair as they flit in and out of the porch with me sitting there.

Two large toms just crossed the front lawn in a hurry - didn't appear to be anything chasing them. Both with 5 - 6" beards. One appeared to be double bearded with a shorter beard further down his chest. R2elk will know whether or not that is a thing that happens. The large flock down outside the beagle club seems to have broken up. Last time they were there I counted 21 birds - primarily jakes with perhaps 3 or 4 hens.

One appeared to be double bearded with a shorter beard further down his chest. R2elk will know whether or not that is a thing that happens.
Yes it can happen. It however is not necessarily a sign of age. I had a Bourbon Red tom that had his best beard (a double one) when he was 3 years old. It was the only year that he had a double beard. He was taken by a predator on Thanksgiving night when he was 11 years old.

Back
Top Bottom