Feeding Wild Birds

Pics
This morning I cleaned out a nest that Canyon Towhees had built under the propane tank lid. :D They successfully fledged out 2 babies a few weeks ago. Both are still being fed by the parents and are always hanging out on the porch or in the backyard. Odd little birds, they love climbing around up inside the wheelwells or under the hood of the cars and trucks. :D

This morning I cleaned out a nest that Canyon Towhees had built under the propane tank lid. :D They successfully fledged out 2 babies a few weeks ago. Both are still being fed by the parents and are always hanging out on the porch or in the backyard. Odd little birds, they love climbing around up inside the wheelwells or under the hood of the cars and trucks. :D
Here it's Carolina wrens that use the same nesting place and exhibit similar behavior.

I caught one of the nosey little buggers in a mouse trap that I had set in a dog kennel. :(
I had the exact same thing happen here, one got caught in a mouse trap that was set in the greenhouse, I felt awful. Dang little birds go through any door, any cage, under things, they get everywhere, places they should not go.

I live on the East coast, New Jersey to be specific. I have lived in the same home for 54 years and have fed the wild birds that entire time. This year populations are at an all time low. I would guess somewhere around 20 % of what normally feed here and at a wildlife club where I also feed. I was wondering if anyone else has noted a similar decrease in wild bird populations. I know that West Nile hit here fairly hard last year. Perhaps that is what caused the reduction ?
They’ve all moved to my yard. Largest population and variety ever.

I've noticed an increase of the bird population around the farm. Mocking birds, wrens, orioles, pileated woodpeckers, cardinals, hawks and bobwhite quail. Lots of bobwhite quail. I was excited to hear the quail!

We got one, too.
PICT0004.JPG

Not much here in the way of coyotes this year. A lot of land surrounding my little farm has been cleared. I hope the area doesn’t boom in population like central Florida has been.

There was an amazing display by Kites circling high above my pond. I counted fifteen. The other day when I snapped this photo, I only saw three. They must be communing here.
0EE25323-0915-4AAB-91A9-557C31B3AAE6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom