Feeding Wild Birds

Pics
Went to the beagle club this morning to fill my bird feeders and feed the rabbits. Discovered that in this deep/crusty snow I am no longer physically able to get around to fill the rabbit feeders. Frankly that reality pisses me off a bit. Those that I got to were not empty yet. While there a flock of snow geese passed overhead chattering away. Pretty sight - white/black wing tips against the bright blue sky.

Wild creatures are getting hungry. This morning at daybreak there were 8 squirrels around my home feeder. They must know they stand out and are vulnerable in the snow as all disappeared as soon as the sun rose.

Local authorities have asked the public to stop feeding wild birds. There is an outbreak of salmonellosis that is killing little guys. I guess the gathering of large numbers in small spaces is causing alarming mortality. They even said to take the hummingbird feeders down for a bit.
I guess there are unintended consequences when we try to ‘help’, in this case causing birds to crowd and linger when they should be spreading out and moving along as they were designed to do.

Local authorities have asked the public to stop feeding wild birds. There is an outbreak of salmonellosis that is killing little guys. I guess the gathering of large numbers in small spaces is causing alarming mortality. They even said to take the hummingbird feeders down for a bit.
Do you have hummingbirds up there this time of year?
We only have one species and then only from April to September.

Back
Top Bottom