Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Oct 19, 2021
Medicine Hat , alberta , Canada
Hello
I have a special needs duckling 40 hours old
He can’t stand on his own yet so I’m having to feed and water him
Just wondering how often I should get up through the night to feed him
He had a rough hatch and we found out after he got out his pointy end had a second air cell so he was blocked in the middle of his egg reducing his growth space. He had an X-ray done today and his legs and neck look good but the bones are not as thick as they should be so it’s going to take some time to get him strong
He is improving a lot already
I give it a few more days till he is up and walking on his own
I’m giving him nutridrench, vitamin B complex , vitamin E and nutritional yeast in his feed. He is also getting water therapy as well as I help him take steps and hold his chest as he stands on his feet to eat and drink

Hello
I have a special needs duckling 40 hours old
He can’t stand on his own yet so I’m having to feed and water him
Just wondering how often I should get up through the night to feed him
He had a rough hatch and we found out after he got out his pointy end had a second air cell so he was blocked in the middle of his egg reducing his growth space. He had an X-ray done today and his legs and neck look good but the bones are not as thick as they should be so it’s going to take some time to get him strong
He is improving a lot already
I give it a few more days till he is up and walking on his own
I’m giving him nutridrench, vitamin B complex , vitamin E and nutritional yeast in his feed. He is also getting water therapy as well as I help him take steps and hold his chest as he stands on his feet to eat and drink
I'm glad you got him to the vets! You are so good with your ducks/ducklings!
I don't know what to suggest, so I'll just drop this comment to give the thread a boost!

I'm glad you got him to the vets! You are so good with your ducks/ducklings!
I don't know what to suggest, so I'll just drop this comment to give the thread a boost!
Well he has learned to up his voice and wake me when he wants feed and water
He got up at 2,4,5 now 7

I have gotten up hourly for a very young weak muscovy, but within days he was feeding himself. I think that if yours can shout loudly enough to wake you, being woken is often enough for you to get up to feed it. Good luck! Its so rewarding to have a success with a duckling like yours

I have gotten up hourly for a very young weak muscovy, but within days he was feeding himself. I think that if yours can shout loudly enough to wake you, being woken is often enough for you to get up to feed it. Good luck! Its so rewarding to have a success with a duckling like yours
I’m trying to keep high hopes cause he tries so hard to keep going
It’s very slow going but it’s in the right direction
His neck and back lean left and his left leg is a bit weaker. I gave him a proper bath today and he went in tight left circles with his head leaning left. I had to help him be straight so I can get his legs stronger with water therapy

I’m trying to keep high hopes cause he tries so hard to keep going
It’s very slow going but it’s in the right direction
His neck and back lean left and his left leg is a bit weaker. I gave him a proper bath today and he went in tight left circles with his head leaning left. I had to help him be straight so I can get his legs stronger with water therapy
I play at duckling/duck chiropraticing myself. I think ducklings coming out of the shell are amazing!!!!!!! They have a will to live that is insurmountable. I have had to help occasionally, but the rewards are satisfying. Keep up the good work!!

Back
Top Bottom