Feeding Cockerels for Processing

The Duck Ladie

Duck Addict
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Hello Y'all! So, I found out that my three 11-week old Easter Egger "pullets" are actually cockerels (Thanks to everyone on BYC who told me so!). As I cannot have that many roosters, they're going to have to go to the cooking pot. They are very skinny at present. I've been feeding them chick food, and I also let them forage around the yard daily. I know that being Easter Eggers they aren't going to get fat like Cornish or other meat birds, but what about what should I go for and what should I feed them? I've been giving them some cracked corn along with their normal food. Thanks everyone!

Keep them in chick feed -it is higher protein. Or switch to gamebird, or turkey, or meat bird feed.

you’ll want to butcher around 16-20 weeks. We did an accidental EE male at 16 weeks. He was pretty thin, bc EE aren’t that hefty at any point. Still, can get a meal out of him.

Use feed for meat birds depending on where you live gamebird feed can be insane. I have stopped buying as it's way to expensive for me and besides I have layer hens.

Back
Top Bottom