feeding chickens canned corn

WildBilly

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
My chickens love canned corn because it is softer and easier to eat than dried corn, i put it in a dish and it is one of their favorite treats. Anyone think this is healthy for chcikens. i don't think anything is added to the indredients of sweet corn in a can? i feed it in moderation but i recommend anyone to feed canned corn as treats. the chickens love it.
love.gif

Chickens love their corn, that's for sure. Corn is a good thing but in moderation, as a treat. Corn given too often can cause fatty buildup in the birds and become overweight but it is still a good treat. For example, I add cracked corn to my feed regiment in the winter months to help keep them a little chunked up because they are not as active during the cold. Spring and summer months they get lots of running around and are able to burn off the fat they gain.
Sure, give them corn as a treat... A happy chicken is a laying chicken.... Steve(BunkyB)

is once a week, half a can , okay to feed, if in a dish or on ground sprinkled around the coop?

We buy the BIG cans of corn at Walmart and freeze pints in ziplock bags. The girls get a couple of tablespoons in takeout containers, and they come running when they see it. We also put the metal cans in the nestboxes overnight so they won't sleep/poop in the nest. Makes for much cleaner eggs.

My chickens love canned corn because it is softer and easier to eat than dried corn, i put it in a dish and it is one of their favorite treats. Anyone think this is healthy for chcikens. i don't think anything is added to the indredients of sweet corn in a can? i feed it in moderation but i recommend anyone to feed canned corn as treats. the chickens love it.
love.gif
most canned corn has at least salt, lots of times sugar, and occasionally sulfur dioxide or another texture/color preservative added to it.

There are lots of foods out there that would NOT be good if fed frequently and in large quantities. But canned corn as a treat? Sounds good to me. I often feed my guys shredded cheese as a treat - I've read that dairy isn't good for chickens. But they love it and I've never seen any ill effects. If each chicken was getting half a cup of cheese, I'd worry. But when each bird is getting a few bites, no big deal. You could offer them a little canned corn every day, and as long as each was just getting a bit, you're not going to see any effects other than happy, bugging-you-for-more chickens.
smile.png
Offer them a few raisins - you want to talk about going nuts over a treat! Mine will jump into the air to grab them out of my fingers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom