Feather picking, depluming mites, something else…?

Jen26

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2023
Hello -

Hoping for some thoughts/recommendations. We have 8 hens ranging in age from 1-4 years old. I would say about half of them have bottoms and lower backs that are losing feathers, although these 2 are by far the worst.
The first 2 pics are from our 4 year old buff and the second 2 pics are from our 1 year old rainbow egger.
We do not have a rooster, but did until late last summer. We noticed this in the winter.
I haven’t seen any lice or mites and treated them with elector PSP a couple of months ago just in case I was missing something.
They have been laying well and eat Purina layer feed.
Thoughts? I appreciate the help!

Attachments

• IMG_8176.jpeg
    IMG_8176.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8177.jpeg
    IMG_8177.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8178.jpeg
    IMG_8178.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8179.jpeg
    IMG_8179.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 7
I would try to spend more time with them to see their behaviour.

Maybe let them free range an hour every day against boredom.

Other things you can do against boredom/ feather pecking:
Make hiding places, a swing, a small platform in the run, a sand bath, a large bin or bucket with compost to dig. Add an extra run, an open space (strong netting or hwc on top) to scratch in dirt in search for insects.

If you want to check on red mite (just in case) look in the night with a torch. Or check with corrugated paper rolls under the roost (better safe than sorry).

I would try to spend more time with them to see their behaviour.

Maybe let them free range an hour every day against boredom.

Other things you can do against boredom/ feather pecking:
Make hiding places, a swing, a small platform in the run, a sand bath, a large bin or bucket with compost to dig. Add an extra run, an open space (strong netting or hwc on top) to scratch in dirt in search for insects.

If you want to check on red mite (just in case) look in the night with a torch. Or check with corrugated paper rolls under the roost (better safe than sorry).
Thank you so much for the suggestions - much appreciated!

Thank you so much for the suggestions - much appreciated!
Welcome. If the pecking doesn’t stop soon/ within a few weeks, you need to take out the pecker.

Try to integrate again with a plan. Possible plan (don’t know if it’s the best). Put her in solitary for a week and add one hen for after this week . See what happens. She is probably glad she has companion and might stop the pecking. If she still pecks, quarantine her another week. …

Back
Top Bottom