Feather loss on back and wings

Itsmekt55

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2021
Hello,
One of my RIRs has had some serious feather loss on her back and wings. She is one of six chickens and none of the others are having such extreme loss. I am assuming it is from pecking since no one else is missing many feathers and she is not scratching at all but I have not seen any bullying behavior. She is missing some feathers on her head as well which makes me think it’s from pecking. I first tried a saddle jacket that snapped around her wings and covered all the exposed skin but she manages to take it off. I tried that for about 5 or 6 days putting it on every night when she was calm. Some days it would be off first thing in the morning and other days she would keep it on until mid or late in the day before getting it off. I decided to try blue kote instead of the jacket but have not seen any feathers growing back. She has had the blue kote reapplied over the past week or so. Any advice would be appreciated! Should I continue with the blue kote? Should I go back to the jacket? Should I do both? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 3871B853-1188-4A7B-8B77-F7210D40684D.jpeg
    3871B853-1188-4A7B-8B77-F7210D40684D.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 78AC6CD8-1AB5-4596-BAAF-F7C5C119DDD4.jpeg
    78AC6CD8-1AB5-4596-BAAF-F7C5C119DDD4.jpeg
    690.8 KB · Views: 21
Hello,
One of my RIRs has had some serious feather loss on her back and wings. She is one of six chickens and none of the others are having such extreme loss. I am assuming it is from pecking since no one else is missing many feathers and she is not scratching at all but I have not seen any bullying behavior. She is missing some feathers on her head as well which makes me think it’s from pecking. I first tried a saddle jacket that snapped around her wings and covered all the exposed skin but she manages to take it off. I tried that for about 5 or 6 days putting it on every night when she was calm. Some days it would be off first thing in the morning and other days she would keep it on until mid or late in the day before getting it off. I decided to try blue kote instead of the jacket but have not seen any feathers growing back. She has had the blue kote reapplied over the past week or so. Any advice would be appreciated! Should I continue with the blue kote? Should I go back to the jacket? Should I do both? Thanks for the help!

I have a different type of saddle but I have a rooster and he did manage to get under it. Where did you get this saddle? It looks like it might work for mine where they are missing feathers on their wings.

I have a different type of saddle but I have a rooster and he did manage to get under it. Where did you get this saddle? It looks like it might work for mine where they are missing feathers on their wings.
Yes, this saddle does cover the wings partially which is why I got it for my little Reba. None of the other ones I came across had quite the same coverage. I purchased it on Amazon.

LoveNCreatures – Water Resistant - Chicken Saddle Jacket (1 Apron Pack) Hen Supplies w/Over The Wing Poultry Feather Saver | Hackle to Tail Safety Pad & Pecking Protection Vest Medium/Large Breeds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T937M6...abc_337VX9T12KSRG7ZRCQCE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom