Feather Lice

LamarshFish

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 26, 2015
What do you all do to treat for this? Got a few squeakers to work in my loft as outcrosses and they were unfortunately covered in them. Keeping them in a separate cage until I can get this squared away. I dipped and soaked each of them in a borax bath, and when they dried I sprayed their rumps and under their wings with a livestock permethrin spray (less than 1%).

I was thinking of doing the bathing each day for a few more days, but not sure.

Also heard that Ivermectin drops on the back of the neck work. Anybody try that, or try a pyrethrin based drop like that made for ear mites in dogs? Not sure if the drops are even necessary after spraying them with the permethrin....

I use ivermectin on my chickens. You can also use it on pigeons. I'm not sure of the absolute correct dosage without having a quick look but I normally go for 1ml per kg. You wouldn't need much for a pigeon! I'd probably repeat in a couple of weeks. I've not used the spray but i should imagine you will need to repeat every 4-5 days for a week or so. Make sure to treat the loft.

I use ivermectin on my chickens. You can also use it on pigeons. I'm not sure of the absolute correct dosage without having a quick look but I normally go for 1ml per kg. You wouldn't need much for a pigeon! I'd probably repeat in a couple of weeks. I've not used the spray but i should imagine you will need to repeat every 4-5 days for a week or so. Make sure to treat the loft.

The ivermectin I was looking at getting for them seems like a drop behind the neck, and another 10-12 days later, is supposed to do the trick.

I haven't put them in my loft yet, they are staged in a bunny hutch while I keep an eye on their health. I keep new birds quarantined for a week. In this case thank goodness I did it, or I'd be dealing with a much bigger pain.

The ivermectin I was looking at getting for them seems like a drop behind the neck, and another 10-12 days later, is supposed to do the trick.

I haven't put them in my loft yet, they are staged in a bunny hutch while I keep an eye on their health. I keep new birds quarantined for a week. In this case thank goodness I did it, or I'd be dealing with a much bigger pain.
That sounds about right. I used to get the pipettes for pet rabbits and that was only a few drops in it. I've got a big bottle now! So it should last a while! Mites and lice cause nothing but misery. I've had roost mites in my hen coop that have been wreaking havoc, luckily they haven't got to the loft but I've got to be vigilant!

Most just use gentler general "Adams" flea spray, one spray under each wing and tail, as feather lice not too bad just annoying if show or want optimal flying performance when getting too many, but as soon as you bring I to an area, the lice get shaken everywhere within about a hundred feet or more depending on sir flow. Ive tried gentle "nix" was pretty strong birds not enjoying, I forget how "rid" worked but was stronger n birds hated smell freaking. Otherwise you could just spray down with dawn dishsoapd, or vinager or vinager water bath. I try to use as least harsher chemicals as possible and the birds do better for, but I'll see how these young homers I got do, because some covered in, but song birds bring them around too so not problem.

Back
Top Bottom