Fearful hen after hawk attack

SmiYa0126

Free Ranging
Jul 6, 2021
SE Pennsylvania
Hello! My hen Kitty was attacked by a hawk a couple of weeks ago. She has healed nicely from the gash under her wing and has grown back most of her feathers he plucked ( my rooster Petey saved her đź’•), however she won't leave the coop now. She went to leave one time but the stinking hawk was perched on one of the trees near the coop, she saw him, growled and went back in the coop.

That was over a week ago, how do I help her?

Give her time. A week is nothing to a predator attacked chicken. The presence of the hawk in the area will greatly extend her recovery time.

Give her time. A week is nothing to a predator attacked chicken. The presence of the hawk in the area will greatly extend her recovery time.
Thank you! I've had her in my basement as a buddy for my sick hen Ginger, I put them both back today and Kitty laid an egg! I couldn't believe it! I took her for a walk with me and then released her with my rooster. Keeping an eye on the crew now that free ranging. Haven't seen the hawk in awhile, only buzzards or maybe they're turkey buzzards? Not sure.

Back
Top Bottom