FAVORITES AND TRIALS

We're in zone 6B. This is our first year to live here, so first year to garden in this different-from-what-we're-used-to climate and soil. In our old place our soil was clay. Solid clay. It took us 8 years of amending it every single year to turn it into decent soil. Here, we have good old Virginia red dirt. It is loose, drains extremely well. About 1/4 of our garden spot doesn't get any morning sun, and that's an issue, but not one we can do anything about, other than plant (next year) things that don't require so much sun on that end.

I brought seed from some of my favorites with me to try here. I'm happy to report the tomatoes are doing better here, than they ever have, (everything is, actually) and that's actually saying something, as these 2 varieties never fail us.

Our go-to slicer is an old heirloom called Crimson Cushion. We've been growing it for about 5 or 6 years now. I brought in a 1 lb 6.1 oz tomato the other day. Most of them average 14 to 16 oz. They are fleshy, sweet with large (but edible) cores and tender skins. I use them along with my Roma tomatoes in all of my sauces. My only issue with them is I get a lot of double blooms on them. On this particular tomato, that makes two tomatoes that grow together, making for a very, very deep core. I tend to pinch those blooms off, with the exception of a few. Excellent producer and large yields.

Our favorite Roma (paste tomato) is another heirloom called Mama Leone. Very large tomato with a perfect shape and exquisite flavor. Again, another great producer with high yields.

Our pole bean of choice for the last several years is one called Potomac. Heirloom bean that starts off pretty slow, with spindly vines. Once it starts blooming and producing, the vines thicken up and they become very full and lush. Beautiful vines. We've had them get in excess of 9 ft tall. Produces like crazy once it gets started and when it slows way down, if you'll just over water it a bit, it starts again. Beans are at their very best at about 8 inches, but I have picked them at up to 11 inches and they are still tender and without strings for the most part. Very tasty bean and cans up beautifully.

Black Beauty zucchini, Detroit Dark Red beets, Danvers carrots, Pontiac potatoes are favorites. All did really well this year, although for the first time in my life, I got potatoes with no blooms. I thought they were sick when the vines started dying back, because they never bloomed. We had potatoes a plenty!

Our peppers haven't done well this year. I think it was due to early planting. I went by the tables for this area, but should have gone by the neighbors. :) I will next year.

Clemson spineless Okra is finally coming along. It is my go to okra for all my 40 plus years of gardening.

Trying an heirloom variety of corn this year, that is native to VA. It's called "Aunt Mary's". It is planted in the wrong spot and not getting enough sun, so I suspect we won't get a good yield. We plan to try it again next year in a better spot.

My all time favorite purple hull pea is called "Quick Pick". Another heirloom. Tall plants that get about hip high on me (I'm 5'2") and don't vine a lot. The plants are fairly erect, and most of the peas are found on the top of the plants. That doesn't mean one shouldn't dig down in the vines though. They are down there, too. Just not as profuse. Long, beautiful purple/red pods with about 11-15 large peas per pod. The peas have a nice, dark maroon eye. Wonderful flavor and they produce like crazy! Ours just started blooming. :)

This year I am growing Yellow Wax and Provider which irritates me because it grows curly not straight. I wont grow it again.

My Dad grew nothing but provider. This would have been back when I was a kid, perhaps 50+ years ago. He stopped gardening this year, at the age of 93.

Have you tried Blue Lake Bush? Nice meaty straight bean. I'm not fond of BUSH beans, but growing this one as an edible green manure crop.

My Dad grew nothing but provider. This would have been back when I was a kid, perhaps 50+ years ago. He stopped gardening this year, at the age of 93.

Have you tried Blue Lake Bush? Nice meaty straight bean. I'm not fond of BUSH beans, but growing this one as an edible green manure crop.
The flavor of Provider is good, I have no problem with it for cooking, the shape of it just makes life difficult when doing dill beans for canning! I have tried the Blue Lake but not at this property, I will try it here next year.

Our go-to slicer is an old heirloom called Crimson Cushion. We've been growing it for about 5 or 6 years now. I brought in a 1 lb 6.1 oz tomato the other day. Most of them average 14 to 16 oz. They are fleshy, sweet with large (but edible) cores and tender skins. I use them along with my Roma tomatoes in all of my sauces. My only issue with them is I get a lot of double blooms on them. On this particular tomato, that makes two tomatoes that grow together, making for a very, very deep core. I tend to pinch those blooms off, with the exception of a few. Excellent producer and large yields.

Our favorite Roma (paste tomato) is another heirloom called Mama Leone. Very large tomato with a perfect shape and exquisite flavor. Again, another great producer with high yields.
I like the sound of the Crimson Cushion, if for nothing else but the name. I think I will give it a shot. Anything that someone grows year after year is worth a look see. Mama Leone too!

The flavor of Provider is good, I have no problem with it for cooking, the shape of it just makes life difficult when doing dill beans for canning! I have tried the Blue Lake but not at this property, I will try it here next year.

I like the sound of the Crimson Cushion, if for nothing else but the name. I think I will give it a shot. Anything that someone grows year after year is worth a look see. Mama Leone too!

The other thing to be careful of with BOTH varieties of tomato is the incredible amount of pollen on the vines. When I work on tying them up, or just picking, I have to wash my hands when I finish with one variety, before moving on to the other one, to avoid cross pollination. One year, I ended up with double cherry tomatoes because I didn't wash between the crimson cushion and the cherry. :)

"German Green (they are ripe when the blossom end of the tomato turns orangey/yellow and they give a little when you squeeze them)[/QUOTE]

I have also loved the size and flavor of the German Green tomato. The juice is not pretty.... Orange Strawberry is another favorite, though the seeds are slow to sprout.

Tried Green Striped Cushaw pumpkin this year for the first time. It looks kind of like a huge striped butternut squash. Amazed by the vigor of the plant! Good production. I have read good things about the flavor but haven't tried them yet. I am not sure how to tell if they are ripe. I have tried the "fingernail" test, but the skins still pierce easily [early September.]

Tried Green Striped Cushaw pumpkin this year for the first time. It looks kind of like a huge striped butternut squash. Amazed by the vigor of the plant! Good production. I have read good things about the flavor but haven't tried them yet. I am not sure how to tell if they are ripe. I have tried the "fingernail" test, but the skins still pierce easily [early September.]
Johnnys seeds says to cut above the 'handle' when fruit color fully develops and not to damage the rind if possible! Please post about the flavor, I like the look of it!

"German Green (they are ripe when the blossom end of the tomato turns orangey/yellow and they give a little when you squeeze them)

Most pumpkins and squash need to be cured after picking. It's recommended to leave them on the vine as long as possible. Pick before your first frost. I usually put mine in a cart and wheel it out into the sun during the day and back to the shed at night for a week or two, than I let them cure another month or so in my basement before we start to eat them. If cured properly they will become sweeter, and the skin tougher.

Most pumpkins and squash need to be cured after picking. It's recommended to leave them on the vine as long as possible. Pick before your first frost. I usually put mine in a cart and wheel it out into the sun during the day and back to the shed at night for a week or two, than I let them cure another month or so in my basement before we start to eat them. If cured properly they will become sweeter, and the skin tougher.

The hardest part of all, waiting before you can indulge in the deliciousness that is Fall squash!

The hardest part of all, waiting before you can indulge in the deliciousness that is Fall squash!
It is worth the wait. If you eat them too soon, they don't taste very well. I unfortunately didn't get usual bumper crop of butternut squash this year. My asparagus did well and shaded them out, so next year I will have to plant them somewhere else. I did get a few mini pumpkins for eating. They are sweeter anyways.

Back
Top Bottom