Fastest growing plants that a chicken will eat?

Pics

sonomacluck

Chirping
Hi all - I'm looking for 2 - 4, or more, recommendations on plants that grow quickly (trying to fill cylinder of chicken wire 4' high, 4' diameter. I was inspired by the ideas that I read in other threads, where people fill boxes of mesh and let the plants grow out past the wire, so the chickens can feed at it.

Since all the meshes we get come in rolls, I would like to experiment with cylinders of green instead, much easier to shape than in a box-like shape. From the research I've done, most people make squares but I am about circles of wire.

Last edited:
Great question, I look forward to the answers. What zone do you live in? Are you looking for an evergreen or a seasonal plant? I'm in 9a and have made what we call our " portable chicken buffet". It's a planter with a handle that has many herbs. This way if we have several days of rain we can put it in the run. And when it freezes we can put it in our shed.

Also, can people please list plants that produce fruit and vedge that grow quick and easy (sorry to crash your thread, sonamacluck) I am at a loss of what to grow here, and want to sell fresh produce but am having a hard time getting it to grow. Preferably Perennials, thanks for letting me chat here (if you will let me chat here)

My test zone is a field in the foothills of the south bay area, San Jose, CA, in the vicinity of Alum Rock Park. The farm is right next to the park - fun fact - California's oldest municipal park. I met two very kind Germans that are allowing me to test my concept on their field, this is the wikipedia on location.

The idea is to experiment with various plants that would grow in this climate, quickly. They would be fertilized by poop and have an auto-water system that drives the poop in regular intervals into the soil, thereby also amending it. It's not the best soil for those familiar with this area, but plenty of stuff grows here.

The climate of my trial is arbitrary; the technique I am hoping to develop can be applied to any substrate or soil, indoor or outdoor. I'm starting with a field of dreams though, around 30 free range ladies, full sun, and one friendly rooster.

Last edited:
Also, can people please list plants that produce fruit and vedge that grow quick and easy (sorry to crash your thread, sonamacluck) I am at a loss of what to grow here, and want to sell fresh produce but am having a hard time getting it to grow. Preferably Perennials, thanks for letting me chat here (if you will let me chat here)

Yes, I am interested in this info too. Everyone feel free to jump in on this thread. :) :)

Great question, I look forward to the answers. What zone do you live in? Are you looking for an evergreen or a seasonal plant? I'm in 9a and have made what we call our " portable chicken buffet". It's a planter with a handle that has many herbs. This way if we have several days of rain we can put it in the run. And when it freezes we can put it in our shed.

So an example? How many herbs? Do the chickens eat it all at once or do they just snack on it? Do you have a picture?

Back
Top Bottom