Farm cat

@SmiYa0126 has a great idea. When you are looking at animal rescues, they will often call this a barn cat program, although the non-profit in my area calls it their "working cat program". It's a great thing to do since you would be giving a home to a cat that might otherwise be put down.

What's the best cat breed to have as a farm cat? Something that's able to keep pests out of the barn
My barn cat applied for the position of his own accord, spent a couple weeks sneaking into the chicken pen to drink their water when I'd let them out to free range before he was spotted.

Little grey guy with a massive chin, he's been dubbed Bruce Catbell and been given his own bowls.

I've found it's more about personal disposition with cats. My indoor tabby is a murderous beast, great mouser, but she would absolutely destroy my ducks and chickens as well, she'll take on full grown dogs.

The SPCA usually has or can point you in the direction of a barncat project, they spay ferals and rehome them as vermin control. Awesome program really.

Back
Top Bottom