Fairfax County, VA

Fairfax County needs a relaxation of chicken and livestock laws. I would suggest the following points:

1) All changes should be relaxing the laws without any new restrictions on what is currently possible. For example, chickens aged 2 months and younger are allowed on an lot because they are considered to be commonly accepted pets. Technically, you can raise those modern fast-growing crossbreed meat birds in 2 months--although not old enough to lay eggs.

2) A good argument to justify a relaxation of the laws for smaller lots in Fairfax County is the fact that the land has been so subdivided, and the property values have gone up so much that it is nearly impossible for anyone to afford a 2-acre property in order to raise birds. All of the 2-acre lots continue to either be subdivided or they build mansions that are unaffordable to all but the wealthiest residents.

There is thus a good "equity" argument for enabling access of chickens to low- and middle-income families by reducing the lot size for chickens, and possibly even allowing some smaller birds like quail, etc. in townhomes or in indoor (garage) facilities.

At the minimum, we should be able to get chickens down to 1/2 acre lots where zoned R-2--still complying with the bird unit limit or some maximum number, whichever is less. Maybe no roosters, but don't volunteer restrictions, use that as a concession in the negotiation.

Think about whether we just want to do chickens, or whether we want to do all fowl and livestock. We could propose animal and bird units that would be acceptable on lots down to 1/2 acre, such as one miniature pony, small goat breeds, etc.

I live in Clifton, VA. I used to have chicks and ducks but I had to give them away to a farm after i read about the law. I would love to be able to keep poultry and not feel like a crimminal. I do not now the exact size of my yard but am estimating anything from 90- 120 sq. feet.

Has anyone gone to somewhere like Southern States and tried to see if they have suggestions? They would have a financial interest in (sub)urban chickens. This may drive them to help. I find this quote on their website which was linked off of their front page:

"Chickens aren't raised just on farms anymore though, and these days you'll often find them in suburban backyards or even urban settings too."

I just searched the web for "chickens fairfax county virginia" and linked to your post. I live in the county on a 1/4 acre with a house and am interested to know your progress with regards to zoning within your community and the county. I know some "low lying" keepers within the county on other 1/4 acre lots but am not interested in becoming one of them and having to remove chickens after investment in a coop and such. The thought had crossed my mind as well to petition changes to the current zoning laws as I an ex farm boy and still a backyard farmer at heart and I keep bee hives as well which IS legal in the county. Any suggestions, news from your efforts would be appreciated. I would also offer any assistance you may need although I do realize it has been some months since the original post. Good luck and thanks...

Last edited:
We had hens for over a year before Fairfax County zoning came knocking on our door....

We have 1/2 acre and our "jerky" neighbor called the county. The funny thing is, WE HAD CHICKENS FOR A YEAR before he even knew it! The chickens didn't bother anyone (obviously) and all of our other neighbors really liked the free eggs....

The "special permit" that someone else referred to is a 100+ page application and it costs over $1,000 to apply. My wife is a lawyer, and she looked at it and said "no way". Nobody is going to go through the effort and expense for a couple of chickens. The county wins by default.

I was successful in getting a stop sign put on my street after working with McKay's office for TWO YEARS.... I collected signatures, knocked on doors, sent countless emails etc...so change ~can~ happen in Fairfax County, but sure is a lot of hard work + patience.

I am willing to help if anyone needs it...just send me a message. I am in the Rose Hill area near Franconia.

dwcp9799, i shuddered when i read your post. I have 6 10-week-old bantams in my backyard, and i'm just praying i don't have to get rid of them...
2 birds turned out to be roosters, and just started crowing. Do you know any place locally, where i can drop them off? Petting zoo, or whatever?
I'm in alexandria city, near crystal city.

Last edited:
I might know someone in Hamilton, Virginia, just outside of Leesburg. I am working a job site near there through the week and will stop by to see if they are interested. They are organic farmers with a large roadside stand that sells fresh eggs. Let me know if this would be of any help and I will see what I can do.

Ugh. You guys are reminding me why I moved from Fairfax County 12 years ago to Fauquier. How many 2 acre lots are left in Fairfax anyway? It seems like a convenient number to avoid backyard chickens in Fairfax altogether. Maybe that could be presented as an angle for the law being antiquated? In 1985 (when it was written, is that what I read?) there were still many good-sized lots left.

chiclet, maybe craigslist? Hobby chickens have REALLY taken off out here and we're not so far away.

Ooooh! You are brave!

I'm in Alexandria on a 14th floor hi-rise near Crystal City. I've been tempted to keep a couple hens in cages on my patio which is somewhat recessed.

Since there are no adjacent buildings, any clucking sounds would be projected out into the open air. No one would know except for the occasional feather that might drift down to the swimming pool!

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom