Eye seems irritated. Skin seems to be growing over it.

Mr MKK FARMS

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
My Faverolle hen has some skin growing over her left eye and it looks irritated. I am not sure what to do but it seems to be getting worse. I can try and get pictures later if you need them. Any advice and ideas of what this could be are more than welcome. Thank you!

After millions of tries and a few hundred years outside, this is all I could come up with. I know its lame, but she is my most energetic chicken so its really tough to get pictures.

So as you can probably see there is white starting to go over they eye which makes her look like she is always squinting.

I apologies for the muddy beard, she must have gone in the mud again.
roll.png

Okay so I found this place that sells Terramycin Powder that you put in water for the birds. Do you think this will help?

Conjunctivitis and eye swelling/drainage can be signs of a chronic respiratory disease. Terramycin (oxytetracycline) is one of several drugs that will treat symptoms, but if it is a disease such as MG, it will not be cured. The chicken would be a carrier. Testing is the only way to make sure. I would keep the chicken isolated away from the flock while I treated with the antibiotic. There is also Terramycin eye ointment that you can use in the eye along with antibiotic in the water. Here is a link with a list of many common respiratory diseases including symptoms and treatment: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Conjunctivitis and eye swelling/drainage can be signs of a chronic respiratory disease. Terramycin (oxytetracycline) is one of several drugs that will treat symptoms, but if it is a disease such as MG, it will not be cured. The chicken would be a carrier. Testing is the only way to make sure. I would keep the chicken isolated away from the flock while I treated with the antibiotic. There is also Terramycin eye ointment that you can use in the eye along with antibiotic in the water. Here is a link with a list of many common respiratory diseases including symptoms and treatment: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
So do you think there is anyway for her to get better?
sad.png

I would treat her with antibiotics if you think she has a respiratory disease, or cull her. Only you can decide what to do from the symptoms you are seeing. The link in post 6 has all of the disease and symptoms. If she is separated, you can treat her or watch her. Are you seeing any more symptoms except for an irritated eye?

Last edited:
I would treat her with antibiotics if you think she has a respiratory disease, or cull her. Only you can decide what to do from the symptoms you are seeing. The link in post 6 has all of the disease and symptoms. If she is separated, you can treat her or watch her. Are you seeing any more symptoms exceapt for an irritated eye?
Okay, I will start treating her tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom