Excited about getting started

I think she does want to raise for eggs and meat, if I remember correctly from her first post. I have been thinking about raising meat birds or raising up dual purpose and butchering some for the table since last year.....I just have not been able to get up the courage! Choosing to butcher for myself and family has been a bit of a battle inside myself. Logic tells me if I am eating chicken..one has been butchered whether I do it or a commercial operation does it. I guess it is easier for some than others, maybe I will get the courage this year.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

I do NOT eat the birds that we raise because we love them dearly. I just need to get this clear, did you ever eat your chickens? You said that if you eat chicken one has been butchered. So I am guessing you are a vegetarian..........:):):):)

I do NOT eat the birds that we raise because we love them dearly. I just need to get this clear, did you ever eat your chickens? You said that if you eat chicken one has been butchered. So I am guessing you are a vegetarian..........
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
I was talking about the OP...she wants chicken for meat and eggs. No I am not a vegetarian. Yes I eat chicken.....so if I buy it from the store...the chicken I bought, someone butchered it, it just was not me that butchered it. Which goes with my logic that unless I stop eating chicken, chickens are being butchered for me. And I am not going to stop eating chicken. I just need to come to grips with the fact that the neatly wrapped chicken in the store, at one time WAS alive and lost it's life so I could eat. I think it is great people are strong enough to butcher what they eat.....I just have not gotten to that point yet...I am working on it.

I originally got dual purpose breeds simply because I like the fuller, fluffier butt hens than the sleek layers... Now that I have so many different breeds in my flock (including some layer breeds) I can appreciate the appearance of the Skinny Girls just as well. Cockerels hatched here generally go to a friend's yard to stay in Freezer Camp once they start to crow. (I already have a number of roosters which will live here as long as Mother Nature allows.) I have eaten some of that meat once the roosters have been processed. (If, by chance, the cockerels had names, my friends are kind enough not to refer to any particular rooster's meat by its name, no "We're having your Roy for dinner tonight, wanna join us?" discussions.)

Something to think about if you're a tender hearted softie like me.

LUCKY you! I wish I had a neighbor that would butcher and then share the meat!

I am not a vegan either. Butchering your own chicken would not be easier. Well.... For me it would not. I would cry if I did it myself, or someone did it and I watched. If I were you I would try not to work on it. :):):):): but it's up to you! :):):)):

Back
Top Bottom