Everyone tries to press that chickens are pets, but

ncCHICKS

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
(please no argueing, debate is fine though)

Everyone says that chickens are pets (like in discussing town ordinances and such) but yet we cull them... I know most of the time its due to a chick sufferering, but shouldn't they be taken to the vet if they are a pet? (I guess it depends on where you live)

In some regions of asia they eat dogs and cats which re pet here, some folks here eat squirrel and turtle. Turtles are pets yet we eat them same goes for fish. In india cows are holy and in some area even rats.Here we eat them or poison the rats... It is always how you look at it.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on who you are. Some people are able to put down a dog, cat, horse, whatever, themselves. If I were left with a choice- put an animal down myself or watch it suffer- I would put it down myself. But that's how I was raised. I'd rather not do it... I'd rather take it to the vet, but the vet is not always open or willing to do it.
We had our dog put down today. He was 14 and going downhill fast. We "had" to spend almost $400 before the vet decided it was humane to put the dog down. I mean, give me a break! Why medicate a dog that is old, suffering and has had a good life? He deserved better than that.
If I were in the position, I would have put him down myself. Not because of the money, but because poor Charlie was in and out of the vet, stressed out and miserable because (I feel) the vet wanted the $$.

Some people here DO take them to vets. I forget who it was but some one on BYC spent $1,000 to save a chicken.

I nearly choked as I was eating a chicken sandwich when I read it.....

But, as Connie said, one person's pet is another person's dinner. If I were starving and it was me or my dog - sorry Fido I've got thumbs.

I would take my dog to a vet - within my personal version of what is reasonable. But, I would cull a chicken. Its a personal decision.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I would take my dog to a vet - within my personal version of what is reasonable.

The thing that sucks is the vet doesn't care what your version of reasonable is. At least that's how I feel with my vet right now... I'm so mad!
somad.gif

Quote:
The thing that sucks is the vet doesn't care what your version of reasonable is. At least that's how I feel with my vet right now... I'm so mad!
somad.gif

I am sorry that happened Carri. It must be hard for vets because they are always trying to balance what is "reasonable" for them with the incredibly variations in what is reasonable to other people. I;'m not a vet - couldn't do it myself, but I can see how it must be hard to know that you might be able to save an animal but it could be too expensive or try very hard to and still not be able to and have people get angry about the cost.

I am not saying you shouldn't be angry.

I just think it must be hard to be a vet.

I wouldn't be able to afford taking my chickens to the vet !!! YIKES !!
roll.png
I even give my dog and my son's dog there shots ! I buy pre loaded syringes at the feed store . it is a five in one vaccine and i give it once a year. Only costs around $5.00 each dog.
I have never gotten out of the vets office for less than $70.00 for a basic check up and vaccine.
I don't like the worming they use as it is pretty toxic I hear so i prefer to use DE in ther food once a week.

I agree they deserve the same treatment as a cat if it is a pet. However, avian and poultry vets are few and far between. I got real lucky and have one 34 miles from me.

I personally have put down pets (pig, horse, cow, goat, dog) when it was necessary. I would do not different with a chicken.

I do think that some people do not consider them pets but merely chickens and that is fine also. Mine are spoiled pets and I plan to keep it that way. I also plan to try to be good about thinking about the pet's needs first and do what is necessary when that times comes.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Some people here DO take them to vets. I forget who it was but some one on BYC spent $1,000 to save a chicken.

I nearly choked as I was eating a chicken sandwich when I read it.....

But, as Connie said, one person's pet is another person's dinner. If I were starving and it was me or my dog - sorry Fido I've got thumbs.

I would take my dog to a vet - within my personal version of what is reasonable. But, I would cull a chicken. Its a personal decision.

I just talked about something like that with my neighbor on the bus stop. If i would see a animal/pet on the roadside suffering and i can clearly see it wont make it , i would cull it if i had the things to do so quickly. I remember my dad and me once saw a rabbit on the road , the rear end was literaly flat from being run over but still alive. No stick around and we didnt want to touch it because of disease reasons(rabies r tollwut whatever it is called) so we deceided to back up and run over the head. Wasnt nice , but in a sitution before cell and miles away from any house the best thing. SOmetimes you have to do things you dont like.
Personally i prefer CO2 for small animal euthaniasia.
I used to to this with feeder rats and mice except the pinkies​

Back
Top Bottom