every waterer. i have. overflows. HELP! edited.

Iheartchicks<3:)

Songster
9 Years
Aug 1, 2010
Mount Vernon, WA
64479_waterer_5gal.jpg
i have this waterer. i have 2 one is bigger than the other. Whenever i fill it even a quarter of the way full and remove the cap, the water shoots out and overflows. It does this until there is nothing left but in the red part. WHY??? The ground is level. It does this weather i put the cap on when i fill it or just leave it off and let the red thing fill as i fill it. NOTHING WORKS!! Help. Ps im not talking about it overflowing at the top im talking about it not automatically stopping when the water holder ( The red part) gets full!

Last edited:
Do you make sure you have the lid screwed in tight?? I have one almost identical and don't have any problems with it at all!! They also recommend that you take a little veggie oil and put it on the gasket every once in a while!!

I have two of these. Make sure it is level. Make sure the o-ring in the top is clean and in place properly. Make sure you tighten the top very securely. The only time mine leak is if the top is not very tight or the o-ring is not seated properly....joe

There should be a rubber seal in the cap, over the threads of the mouth (white plastic part) where the black top screws on. This is what causes the seal. Make sure the cap is very tight on. The rubber seal should be on the bottom thread, near the bottom of the neck (at least that's where mine is). I have one of these and it's one of my favorite waterers, but at first I didn't realize this needed to be like that and it was at the top and I have the same problem as you're having. I do use mine sitting though - not hanging. I have one that leaked whenever I'd try to hang it - it never worked.

Hope this helps you.

These waterers work due to air pressure... the bottle that holds the water must be air tight... as the chickens drink the water the level in the drinking trough goes down a bit and just a tiny bit of air is able to enter the bottle which releases a little more water into the tray. If your lid on top is unscrewed or is not sealed, the water succumbs to gravity and will all flow downwards..

When you fill the bottle take the small cap (the one about 2 inches down from the top) and put it on the opening at the bottom. Fill the jar and tighten the top snug, don't over do it. Then take the small cap off the bottom and put it back on the holder. The water will run out until the water level in the red tank is above the opening in the bottom of the water tank.

it worked. It worked. IT WORKED!!! this has been a problem for months. I cant believe i never thought to tighten the lid! WOW. Brain fart x 100 i went out and tried it as soon as u guys told me. My grandma thought i was crazy cause its late and dark and cold.. plus im sick! But i wanted to try it. I did it and it didnt work. so then i tried and filled it up again (after it about flooded my run) and then did the lid tighter! And bam! The flooding stopped. PS i lost the little black lid. I had to use my finger.. i was pretty much freezing. But im so excited that it finally worked!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom