Essentially a new member!

ImportTheBest

Songster
8 Years
May 5, 2012
Lex, KY
Hi!

I've been without chickens and off BYC (except to swoon over all the chickens and coops from time to time) for a few years. That's about to change as our new home is in a subdivision without an HOA, and there are technically no city ordinances against chickens so long as they are in an enclosure, don't roam free, and aren't dyed.... so I can have a few ladies! Woohoo!
wee.gif

We now have a silly, stubborn, little dachshund x blue heeler (little but very strong) that will need to be trained to at least not bark at them when she's outside. I don't expect to ever be able to free-range them around her. I just want to train her well enough (with help from a trainer) to not bark at the "targets" and possibly drop things she has in her mouth, just in case! Don't worry, the coop and run will be 100% Daphne-proof.
wink.png

I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide on which style coop and run to build, which chicken breeds to purchase, and even whether or not to buy chicks or started pullets!

Last time around we purchased day old chicks from My Pet Chicken, but since then we have moved even further away and the minimum is really a chicken or two more than I should probably have, for the sake of the space and the neighbors. There are some 5 mth olds ready locally but I don't have a coop or run yet. And I'm nervous to risk getting roos or zero choice in breed at TSC in the spring.

Why yes, I am totally over thinking this, so good of you to notice. This is what happens when you spend years dreaming of having your ladies back and then overwhelm yourself trying to make it perfect! Haha!
hide.gif

Anyhoo, I'm so glad to be back and I can't wait to have my ladies again!

Welcome back!
frow.gif

I think I'm going to be in the same indecisive boat next year as you are now, lol. I had to give up my flock this spring when we moved cross-country and am already trying to figure out what I want to do & get.

Anticipation is half the fun, so go ahead and daydream a bit. Get your coop and run set up and then go for it!

Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

Thanks so much everyone! I've been out measuring 2 spots in my yard this morning trying to choose where to put the coop and run. Option 1 close to neighbors but prime easy access and I can see them all day long
Option 2 has shade for summer and further from neighbors but I won't see them unless we are in the backyard. I'm leaning towards option one (naughty me) and just make the shed style coop as sound absorbing/containing as possible...

Back
Top Bottom