Essential Oils for Respiratory Issues

MariaChickenMama

Chirping
Jul 28, 2022
Has anyone used essential oils like peppermint oil or eucalyptus oil for chicken respiratory issues?

On a side note I have been seeing mice by the big crate my chicks. And I read that peppermint oil would be a good for keeping them aways.

Those can help with symptoms but never a cure.

You'd like this thread I bet!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/top-50-herbs-for-your-chickens.77443/

For mice, we have cats, but I too read they don't like peppermint.
This is great! I actually got some stuff I can sprinkle when I refresh my chickens bedding that has bergamot in it.

1. Bee Balm: Also known as bergamot, bee balm has antiseptic, calming, antibacterial, and respiratory properties.
Though I havent been putting any in with my sick girl when I refresh their bedding. I think im
Going to refresh her bedding before I turn out the lights tonight and add a little of this.,

Do be careful. Herbs and oils are not harmless, depending on the dose and individual it's being used on.
Oils of plants that contain Thymol (basil, oregano, rosemary, mints, etc) if dosed incorrectly can cause anemia, blood pressure problems, gastrointestinal issues, even miscarriage, etc. Mint oils, can cause tachycardia, kidney problems, shallow breathing, neurological problems, and convulsions among others.

Back
Top Bottom