Encouraging Broodiness?

Devyn Nagy

Free Virtual Hugs!
Jun 2, 2020
Michigan, USA
Wondering...
It is possible to encourage broodiness somehow? I'd like to try introducing some day olds under her, which my neighbors did successfully with their broody hen. If it's not a good idea, correct me.

I’ve never attempted this so I’m not the best person to help but is your chicken more aggressive? If she is more mellow I would watch her for a while with them but if she is aggressive I wouldn’t try it. I hope this helped!

Only thing I’ve been able to do is toss a pile (4-6) of fake ceramic eggs in their favorite box and wait impatiently.

Chickens go broody on their terms, not ours. I have two that go broody every year. Sometimes 2-3 times. They go broody in March….. or July….. maybe mid April or October.

I’ve never attempted this so I’m not the best person to help but is your chicken more aggressive? If she is more mellow I would watch her for a while with them but if she is aggressive I wouldn’t try it. I hope this helped!
She's very tame and docile. Just the same, chickens tend to go nuts over new flock members. Especially babies.

If you are implying that your hen is not currently broody, then don't try it. Hens are not living incubators, and she will kill the chicks

If you are implying that your hen is not currently broody, then don't try it. Hens are not living incubators, and she will kill the chicks
I understand she'd have to be broody first. I'm just asking if there are some conditions that might encourage those hormones to be activated. (for lack of better phrasing)

I understand she'd have to be broody first. I'm just asking if there are some conditions that might encourage those hormones to be activated. (for lack of better phrasing)

OK then. Some people claim leaving eggs in the nest helps, and keeping the nests in a darker area. Breed definitely matters, and usually hens prefer to nest where they can blend in with their environment

I'm in the same boat, or similar, trying to encourage my year old pullet to sit some of her own and the neighbors eggs.
I had a half go; ie- she almost went broody but the spell was broken.
I got there by leaving/adding eggs to the nest everyday after a fresh coop clean-out, and the coop is just her, Lavender and her boyfriend, Nightshade- I have them separate from the rest of the flock.
I added a drip-waterer to the coop, try to keep feeding and morning opening/evening closing on schedule, and limiting disturbances near the coop.
My girl started broody pooping once she got to about 10 eggs in the nest, but got disturbed and never started incubating. I'm going to give her another chance (by conking the disturbing adult over the head possibly 🫥 ) and see if she'll go for it this time.

Back
Top Bottom