Emu's for meat?

When it comes to raising for personal consumption, I would do it. They’re supposed to be very tasty. A couple emu chicks will cost you $400, which is a lot less than two calves. The length of time for getting adult sized birds is less than cattle. Feed is most likely about the same or less over time.
Thanks a lot I will consider this! Anmore info would help like what do they eat?

Thanks a lot!
Welcome!
Thanks a lot I will consider this! Anmore info would help like what do they eat?
Technically they should be on an emu/ratite specific diet. Mazuri makes a feed for ratites that most feed stores can order in. But I don’t feed them that diet. Mine were raised with a mixed flock. So they’re fed 20% grower/broiler feed. Substituted with greens, berries and fruit. Mine are happy, healthy and laid 31 eggs so far this season.

Where are you located?

Welcome!

Technically they should be on an emu/ratite specific diet. Mazuri makes a feed for ratites that most feed stores can order in. But I don’t feed them that diet. Mine were raised with a mixed flock. So they’re fed 20% grower/broiler feed. Substituted with greens, berries and fruit. Mine are happy, healthy and laid 31 eggs so far this season.

Where are you located?
South Carolina

Cattle are 100% more cost efficient.... and you get more meat.

If you want to raise emus for slaughter though, go for it!

Back
Top Bottom