Emus as pets

An acre or more is ideal. Have to keep in mind they roam in the wild. Even with an acre, mine still pace the fence. They surprisingly make good pets/live stock. Tolerant to most climates and friendly if hand raised. Can be aggressive during breeding season if not hand raised. Shoot sometimes even the extra friendly ones aren’t so friendly when breeding. Just bluff charges though, not kicking.

They tolerate chickens, ducks and turkeys if raised with them. But they will chase them from time to time. Instinctively they like to smoosh small critters. I keep mine with chickens and turkeys. But with an acre, they can get away from the other birds whenever they want to.

Seconding @ShannonsChimkens. The more space you can do the better. They roam miles and miles in the wild.

They do tolerate most fowl okay. Mine have never killed any of my birds, though sometimes they do like to chase. A new bird needs to be introduced to them over a period of time or they might go after it. For example, mine are fine with all my Aztec ducks and also my Tufted Roman geese, but when I took in a pair of pekins they needed to be introduced slowly because they were acting like they might want to chase and/or stomp them. They're fine with them now.

You can have issues with the other birds bothering your emus too, believe it or not. Look what three of my geese did to my oldest female. And she would have to have been laying down for them to do it, so she just laid there and let it happen.

zAHzAYlM8e_2LVAOmoDA9rNoQPVyGcY6nqOXchBBfwkFXwfMHs7DLkDKH1d6TgPqG8eO4JZ3bFqSPsUUe1ExwNUSoWJdbrqO2sc9Rh7P7K6LdvxbSuyknFqf6QrbvIYaP5OdX-itmb7bRRRhPshWcs1h47Iim41Sr-_oMur6lfbEWMi_JDJPbkQ-Q94w7n-TOPyXt_xyB4GXo-_1vdQleun0XRE1zdCBXep6WgMuCT47ldDqgCCUsyd4ZKMeDvNYEvgCqpAxRYDceWkeMxetxYoG7elotOSM1V7M15Bov0mtm9pCUzYnY3xsNN0hqlhHRTGI4MGGEmAyIkIw9gwJBRhb2RFHODo6dQTqAydYHBB2AqNlGEgrl9BqYCFlzePKvA7G9W7MLDYA9vZSpYXMUELYEcVg6SMpZMlqUnVP47It5s-lttJevZtR6NnQU9mAO75uiATEjK17Qeo5tc9yMEIwwc_rU7cMqDgG-pfY9mi_WyWqsQsbwJ-xqz98_AwUce1Nziw-mSmeFt_vaAviXfJp6nIegIWsmTbs0YOYKZDubuHONhzF7f5AeSR7RZkRWKWCpiZ4agxnGDbUf4tqfkMmBUePhzOprfR7kChh0vAtXaJa3ayVbsUVDWsgyFOZCC8Z604-fHVIAlHTAixJxoOu7WZ9-dnKUPjQQkCvKom0tcPoYQ0Gzx5MlBpPQA1K-ItctI1kFOq1Mz_DBYg0_tsz6trQ2HgUAEZa-7sJQezxZO9mnFrWYCvzYZ1w=w1920-h865-no

So in other words, always be prepared to separate if needed.

Seconding @ShannonsChimkens. The more space you can do the better. They roam miles and miles in the wild.

They do tolerate most fowl okay. Mine have never killed any of my birds, though sometimes they do like to chase. A new bird needs to be introduced to them over a period of time or they might go after it. For example, mine are fine with all my Aztec ducks and also my Tufted Roman geese, but when I took in a pair of pekins they needed to be introduced slowly because they were acting like they might want to chase and/or stomp them. They're fine with them now.

You can have issues with the other birds bothering your emus too, believe it or not. Look what three of my geese did to my oldest female. And she would have to have been laying down for them to do it, so she just laid there and let it happen.

zAHzAYlM8e_2LVAOmoDA9rNoQPVyGcY6nqOXchBBfwkFXwfMHs7DLkDKH1d6TgPqG8eO4JZ3bFqSPsUUe1ExwNUSoWJdbrqO2sc9Rh7P7K6LdvxbSuyknFqf6QrbvIYaP5OdX-itmb7bRRRhPshWcs1h47Iim41Sr-_oMur6lfbEWMi_JDJPbkQ-Q94w7n-TOPyXt_xyB4GXo-_1vdQleun0XRE1zdCBXep6WgMuCT47ldDqgCCUsyd4ZKMeDvNYEvgCqpAxRYDceWkeMxetxYoG7elotOSM1V7M15Bov0mtm9pCUzYnY3xsNN0hqlhHRTGI4MGGEmAyIkIw9gwJBRhb2RFHODo6dQTqAydYHBB2AqNlGEgrl9BqYCFlzePKvA7G9W7MLDYA9vZSpYXMUELYEcVg6SMpZMlqUnVP47It5s-lttJevZtR6NnQU9mAO75uiATEjK17Qeo5tc9yMEIwwc_rU7cMqDgG-pfY9mi_WyWqsQsbwJ-xqz98_AwUce1Nziw-mSmeFt_vaAviXfJp6nIegIWsmTbs0YOYKZDubuHONhzF7f5AeSR7RZkRWKWCpiZ4agxnGDbUf4tqfkMmBUePhzOprfR7kChh0vAtXaJa3ayVbsUVDWsgyFOZCC8Z604-fHVIAlHTAixJxoOu7WZ9-dnKUPjQQkCvKom0tcPoYQ0Gzx5MlBpPQA1K-ItctI1kFOq1Mz_DBYg0_tsz6trQ2HgUAEZa-7sJQezxZO9mnFrWYCvzYZ1w=w1920-h865-no

So in other words, always be prepared to separate if needed.
oh Wow! what a tolerant girl….. are there any illnesses or injuries These big beauties are prone to in their pens?

Back
Top Bottom