Emergency, chicken having trouble breathing!

Serotonin

Chirping
Jul 18, 2022
Emergency, please help! My 2 year old chicken has been acting off (standing around, wings drooping, not eating/drinking) all day, but things seem to have taken a turn for the worse. When I went to check on her just now, her eyes were closed and she seemed to be struggling to breathe. Her breathing sounds full of liquid, gurgly, and wheezey. When I picked her up, eggy, yellowish liquid poured from both her mouth and butt. It continues to leak out of her. She has been struggling with laying issues (thin shelled eggs, loose yolks, wrinkled eggs) for weeks but nothing I've tried (additional calcium, deworming, Corid) seems to have worked. Someone has also been having bloody poop, but I'm not sure if it's her (it also seemed to lessen following the Corid). I thought she might be egg bound at first since she kept spending a lot of time in the nesting box, but with the liquid coming from her mouth, I'm not so sure now.

If anyone has any ideas on how to help her, please let me know. I have called nearly every emergency vet within 2 hours around me, but none of them will take chickens and I'm desperate.

Attachments

• PXL_20240504_001311396.jpg
    PXL_20240504_001311396.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20240504_004610412.jpg
    PXL_20240504_004610412.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 5
Unfortunately she didn't make it. I think she drowned in whatever liquid was coming out of her mouth... I'm absolutely devastated.

But I have 9 others, one of which has also been having similar laying problems recently, so if anyone has any ideas what might have caused this, please let me know. I don't want her death to have been in vain.

What breeds are they? I asked because the high production hybrids tend to have more health issues and shorter lifespans in general.

I am sorry for your loss. Do you have any broad spectrum antibiotics or soluble tylan? It can't hurt for rest of flock.

Emergency, please help! My 2 year old chicken has been acting off (standing around, wings drooping, not eating/drinking) all day, but things seem to have taken a turn for the worse. When I went to check on her just now, her eyes were closed and she seemed to be struggling to breathe. Her breathing sounds full of liquid, gurgly, and wheezey. When I picked her up, eggy, yellowish liquid poured from both her mouth and butt. It continues to leak out of her. She has been struggling with laying issues (thin shelled eggs, loose yolks, wrinkled eggs) for weeks but nothing I've tried (additional calcium, deworming, Corid) seems to have worked. Someone has also been having bloody poop, but I'm not sure if it's her (it also seemed to lessen following the Corid). I thought she might be egg bound at first since she kept spending a lot of time in the nesting box, but with the liquid coming from her mouth, I'm not so sure now.

If anyone has any ideas on how to help her, please let me know. I have called nearly every emergency vet within 2 hours around me, but none of them will take chickens and I'm desperate.
Looks like she was suffering from a reproductive Disease. She is a high Production layer, & those don't live very long due to laying every single day non stop.
Usually when they stop laying, & start acting ill it's due to many things that maybe affecting their reproductive system. Infection, internal laying, shell-less egg egg binding, cancer, just to name some things they're known for.

Unfortunately she didn't make it. I think she drowned in whatever liquid was coming out of her mouth... I'm absolutely devastated.

But I have 9 others, one of which has also been having similar laying problems recently, so if anyone has any ideas what might have caused this, please let me know. I don't want her death to have been in vain.
I’m so sorry! Let me go back and read more about your set up.

Do they all have access to calcium(oyster shells)?

What breeds are they? I asked because the high production hybrids tend to have more health issues and shorter lifespans in general.

The one that passed (Mille) was a Starlight Green Egger. The other one having laying issues (Bloom) is a Rhode Island Red. They are just turning 2 in June though, so it's not as if they're even a few years old...

I am sorry for your loss. Do you have any broad spectrum antibiotics or soluble tylan? It can't hurt for rest of flock.

Unfortunately no, I live in California and OTC stuff has been banned for a long time... I did grab some FishMox though, just not sure how to use/dose it.

Looks like she was suffering from a reproductive Disease. She is a high Production layer, & those don't live very long due to laying every single day non stop.
Usually when they stop laying, & start acting ill it's due to many things that maybe affecting their reproductive system. Infection, internal laying, shell-less egg egg binding, cancer, just to name some things they're known for.

I'm thinking of sending her for a necropsy... Do you think they'd be able to tell what happened?

I’m so sorry! Let me go back and read more about your set up.

Do they all have access to calcium(oyster shells)?

Yeah, they have free choice oyster shell. I'd also been giving her occasional calcium supplements and feeding the flock Greek yogurt since the laying issues began.

I should also add that after she died, she passed a goopy/eggy poop that had a good amount of blood in it. The egg I could get since she'd been laying yolks with dried up soft shells, but I'm not sure about the blood...

I'm so sorry

Back
Top Bottom