Electric net poultry fence double-back question

RoyalChick

Henpecked
Premium Feather Member
Nov 3, 2019
Northern New Jersey
My Coop
My Coop
I have used a hot wire with a solar energizer for some time to deter raccoons from climbing on my coop, but I have recently bought an electric poultry net to create some safe run around space.
There is a perfect spot for the solar energizer that is in full sun and also close to the ground rod. So far so good.
I understand that the live connection on the energizer should go to the metal clip on the first post of the netting so that all wires get energized. So that determines the rough location of the first post.
My problem is that I want the fence to go 30’ or so to the North of the energizer (to one side of the coop) and then come back and go South of the energizer and then round to the other side of the coop.
I know it is fine not to complete a circle but I have conflicting input on whether I can double the fence back on itself in the 30’ fence line to the North of the energizer.
My energizer is from PremierOne. They very clearly have a help video that shows you can double back and have the two parts of the fence touching (providing I am not using a pos/neg fence which I am not).
The fence itself is from Kencove who I called and they said I can double the fence back but the two parts of the fence can’t touch each other (which gives me a bit of a space issue).
I am sure the basic structure of the fences are the same between PremierOne and Kencove, so which is the right answer on the fence touching question?
My basic understanding of how this all works makes me believe that I can double back and have them touch. But I am nervous about just giving it a go given what the Kencove guy said.
Anyone have any experience to help me here?
Thanks!

I'm trying to picture your situation. You are describing it well, but my brain isn't registering...

I have electric netting all over the place. On one fence, I have the wire from the energizer hooked up to where two sections meet.

I have another that doubles back, but I don't allow the fences to touch. There is a space about 2 in between them.

Could you buy even longer wire to hook the end of your fence to the energizer? I did that for my goat fence (also electric netting) which is far from the energizer. Solved that problem for me.

Another option might be to use a battery instead of the solar. I live in the woods, so solar doesn't work well. I have multiple 12V batteries. I rotate them and recharge as needed. The batteries work for about a month between charges.

Hope that helps. I've used it for years and have several sections/configurations operating, so feel free to ask more questions (esp if I'm misunderstanding - lol).

I'm trying to picture your situation. You are describing it well, but my brain isn't registering...

I have electric netting all over the place. On one fence, I have the wire from the energizer hooked up to where two sections meet.

I have another that doubles back, but I don't allow the fences to touch. There is a space about 2 in between them.

Could you buy even longer wire to hook the end of your fence to the energizer? I did that for my goat fence (also electric netting) which is far from the energizer. Solved that problem for me.

Another option might be to use a battery instead of the solar. I live in the woods, so solar doesn't work well. I have multiple 12V batteries. I rotate them and recharge as needed. The batteries work for about a month between charges.

Hope that helps. I've used it for years and have several sections/configurations operating, so feel free to ask more questions (esp if I'm misunderstanding - lol).
Thanks for engaging on this. I could get a battery one but I have the solar one and it works and they aren't cheap! Also, having the charger at the start of the fence would mean running a long ground wire from the charger to the ground rod (not a huge deal).
Here is a picture if it helps orient the problem.
C9DCF5BC-DAA6-4A63-B758-51F0BBA396BF.jpeg

Also, here is the PremierOne video where it shows that you can double back. The double back is specifically shown at 1:44 and a bit earlier at 1:08 they explicitly show two fences touching - like they recommend it!
https://www.premier1supplies.com/a/common-electric-fence-questions

Thanks for any insight you or others might have.
@DobieLover I think you have fencing like this but I don't now if you have had to double up for any reason.
@Tankueray I saw on other posts you seem like an electric fence knoweldgeable person
@Howard E - I think you posted on a related topic too and are way more experienced than I am.
Sorry to tag people I don't really know - just looking for some advice here!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to double back, if you don't mind long wires. My energizer and ground rods are about 30 ft from where I have it connected to the goat fence. I just use a really long connecting wire from the energizer to the end of the first fence (I have 5 fences around my goats).

But if Premier1 says you can double back, you should be fine! Worst case scenario, it shorts or diminished output and you have to reposition it.

Sorry I couldn't be of help.
😊

I have used a hot wire with a solar energizer for some time to deter raccoons from climbing on my coop, but I have recently bought an electric poultry net to create some safe run around space.
There is a perfect spot for the solar energizer that is in full sun and also close to the ground rod. So far so good.
I understand that the live connection on the energizer should go to the metal clip on the first post of the netting so that all wires get energized. So that determines the rough location of the first post.
My problem is that I want the fence to go 30’ or so to the North of the energizer (to one side of the coop) and then come back and go South of the energizer and then round to the other side of the coop.
I know it is fine not to complete a circle but I have conflicting input on whether I can double the fence back on itself in the 30’ fence line to the North of the energizer.
My energizer is from PremierOne. They very clearly have a help video that shows you can double back and have the two parts of the fence touching (providing I am not using a pos/neg fence which I am not).
The fence itself is from Kencove who I called and they said I can double the fence back but the two parts of the fence can’t touch each other (which gives me a bit of a space issue).
I am sure the basic structure of the fences are the same between PremierOne and Kencove, so which is the right answer on the fence touching question?
My basic understanding of how this all works makes me believe that I can double back and have them touch. But I am nervous about just giving it a go given what the Kencove guy said.
Anyone have any experience to help me here?
Thanks!
Actually, I have a different, but ?better? solution. Doubling the fence back on itself is, imo, a waste of fencing. Run the fence where you want it, and run a lead wire from the energizer to the fence.
Lead-out wire

From what I have read ?if I remember correctly? 50' is the max. distance for solar energizers. However, I may be confusing that with the max distance to the ground...it has been over a year since I looked into it.

P.S. I would run the lead-out wire outside the electric netting, and/or get some step in posts to elevate if off the ground.

Actually, I have a different, but ?better? solution. Doubling the fence back on itself is, imo, a waste of fencing. Run the fence where you want it, and run a lead wire from the energizer to the fence.
Lead-out wire

From what I have read ?if I remember correctly? 50' is the max. distance for solar energizers. However, I may be confusing that with the max distance to the ground...it has been over a year since I looked into it.
That is essentially what @Aunt Angus suggested.
It is doable - with 30' of wire instead of my double back. But then what do I do with the 30' of spare fence? What I sketched is where I want the fence and it leaves me with 30' spare netting!

It is doable - with 30' of wire instead of my double back. But then what do I do with the 30' of spare fence? What I sketched is where I want the fence and it leaves me with 30' spare netting!
If you have extra fencing you could run it around the back of your coop or make your run bigger. Or even cut it to terminate.

I have kencove mesh but I haven't energized it - 168' of it. Yet! I plan on running a 'lead wire' that is insulated from the electric fencer and the actual fence and put the mesh up away from their regular run I plan on building.

In the past I have done this 'lead wire' to connect my horse electric fence to the fencer in the barn. It was at least 60' from fencer to electric fencing.

I would be interested in knowing how it turns out!

All the hot strands of the net are jumpered together so having the fence double back and touch the strands doesn't matter.
I'd make the pen bigger so you don't have to.
I assume you have a human door through the coop to get into the pen?
Thanks! You are reinforcing my instinct that it would be OK to double back - at least worth a try.
And yes, I do have human access via the coop - I may eventually increase their area even further but there are some challenges to that involving access so I need to think my way through that issue first. I don't want a complete loop because I feel like I want to be able to rush in if there is an emergency without turning off the fence. Maybe that is a foolish worry but it is where my head is now!

You can't extend it some in any part of your 'loop' to make the area slightly bigger? Remember, with electric fencing/netting, you can do any configuration, so can loop out but 'exclude' a plant you want protected, etc. Doesn't have to be a 'pretty' fenceline...can be funky/wavy, look like a drunken sailor put it up, and all is good!!!

Back
Top Bottom