Electric fence- how big a shock? clicking?

carress

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2008
Orange county NY
I finished hooking up this fence today. I touched it, and got a little shock that didn't do much. I was able to keep my han on it shock after shock. I also hear clicking about every second. I hear it all around the fence.
PoultryNet™ 12/48/3 Electric Netting (from premiere)

Patriot P5 Battery Energizer Kit

Autocraft Marine / RV 12-Volt Starting Battery, Group Size 24M, 800 CCA

I think I did it right. I checked for sagging and resupported any part of the net that was touching the ground.
I used a 20" bolt driven into the ground - except about 2.5" as a ground, becuase my kit, somehow came without one.
I have the battery connected correctly, and
the clip connected to the little metal tab on the fence.

The only thing that looks questionable is the bottom of the fence. I started setting it up 2 days ago, and the goats got to it (of course), and ended up ripping the bottom strand (it's a black wire that I believe is non-conductive), disconnecting it from about 10-15 vertical strands, but not ripping that bottom strand itself- just pulling it loose from the rest of the net.

I used the fence tester (the one with the probe that goes into the ground ), and it looked like it registered 8000V (please excuse me if my terminology is incorrect), but the shock feels like nothing (is it because I have on sneakers?).. I can't imagine any animal would be deterred if that's what it feels like.

That clicking means you could have a short in your fence - it may be touching something metal. That would also be why you're not getting much of a shock. It doesn't even have to be touching, just close enough to be arcing.

The clicking is due to the fence grounding out at some point or multiple points around the fence, clear those up until you don't hear them, you can also see most of them in the dark... Then test it.

Could it be the fence touching itself? I have a panel that's folded over on itself bc of space constraints. The wires are probably touching each other (within the same panel)

One thing you want to look for, that could be causing your problem. Take a walk around the fence line and look at the bottom of each post, and make sure the bottom hot wire/strand is NOT caught under the fiberglass post and against the ground spike. It's very easy when setting up the fence for that to happen and it will cause a dead short to the fence. If all that is good, think about adding another ground rod. I have two installed with my fence. I have a fence from Premier also, I have mine powered up with a 115VAC charger, and you DON'T want to grab and test that fence with your hand, It will bite hard.
Jack

What is 115VAC?
I can put a second ground in. When I didn't find a ground with my fence, I use the 20"bolt I mentioned previously, but Premier said my ground is supposed to be buried about 3 feet deep.

On most of the posts, the bottom wire is underneath. That bottom wire is black, and doesn't seem to have any wire running through it. I asked the Premiere folks, and they said the bottom wire isn't electrified.

What is 115VAC?
I can put a second ground in. When I didn't find a ground with my fence, I use the 20"bolt I mentioned previously, but Premier said my ground is supposed to be buried about 3 feet deep.

On most of the posts, the bottom wire is underneath. That bottom wire is black, and doesn't seem to have any wire running through it. I asked the Premiere folks, and they said the bottom wire isn't electrified.
115 volts, AC=Household current. The black bottom wire is not electrified, I'm talking about the bottom hot wire, the next one up from the black one. It can easily get trapped under the fiberglass post and ground out on the metal ground spike when you set the fence up. I have two 3 ft grounds for my fence. You have to order them separately from Premier, they don't just give them to you. Or, you could go to RadioShack, or Lowes and get a six foot one. It's a lot easier to hammer in a couple of three footers than one six footer. That's probably the problem you have if you can't find any dead shorts, insufficient grounding.
Jack

20" is rather short for a ground. A 6 foot ground rod would be much better. Start to drive the rod. As you go, pour some water into the hole to loosen the soil and provide excellent ground contact for the rod. A fence pole driver is good for the first three feet or so, then a small sledge hammer ( 3 - 5 pounds) to finish. Use plenty of water, it will make all the difference.

Put your connector to the ground rod on before you start driving, because the end will deform keeping you from putting it on later.

Chris

Isn't household current 110v?

I got a longer ground. It's almost 4' long, and I hammered it on in. I wish I'd read about the water trick first, but the ground is pretty wet since, apparently, New York is now a rain forest. I shored up the fence again, adding posts to any panels that didn't already have an extra one.

I think my short is gone. I didn't hear any more clicks, but I did have the chirping of the chickens to contend with.

The shock still isn't that strong. The chicks didn't like it though...

Back
Top Bottom