Elector PSP: How Often to Use, Safe to Use with Permethrin?

krissyweso

Songster
May 26, 2020
Kent Island, Maryland
Updated with some answers (in red)!

Good day, chicken friends!

I recently adopted this sweet girl.

pxl_20230211_215721086-mp-jpg.3402287

After bathing her (she was CAKED with feces), I noticed a large, mite-infested bump on her head. I've checked around her vent, under her wings, on her neck, etc, and it seems like the mites and their eggs are really just concentrated on the top of her head.
PXL_20230212_030820332.jpg

Yesterday afternoon (02/12), I soaked her in an Elector PSP bath (10mL elector per gallon of water). I got her head well (I think), but it's always hard trying not to get it in her eyes. But her head was wetted for sure. Also, I did not rinse her. Just dipped and dried. I could not find a consensus on whether to rinse afterward or not, but I did not do so.

Anyway, eight hours later, I checked her head, and I still see some mites running around. Not NEARLY as many, but I did see three or four very very small ones (Babies, maybe?).

My questions are:
1. Is it normal to still see mites after an Elector soak, or should everything have been killed?
2. Does it take time for them to die after using Elector (through the mites biting her after the treatment)?

***According to the National Pesticide Information Center, "Spinosad [(the active ingredient in Elector PSP)] affects the nervous system of insects that eat or touch it. It causes their muscles to flex uncontrollably. This leads to paralysis and ultimately their death, typically within 1-2 days."***

3. Could I spray her or dust her with Permethrin today (just a day after using the Elector) for a follow-up, or would that be too much?
The NPIC also states that "Spinosad is practically non-toxic to slightly toxic to birds." Because of this, I would imagine that I could use the Elector again without a waiting period, and I could likely use Permethrin soon following a Elector PSP soak.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly elector has to be injected by the mites for it to work and is not like permethrin where it kills on contact. I personally would give it a couple more days. Most elector instructions I have read say to give 14 days for it to fully work and then if you need to do another round as needed.

If I remember correctly elector has to be injected by the mites for it to work and is not like permethrin where it kills on contact. I personally would give it a couple more days. Most elector instructions I have read say to give 14 days for it to fully work and then if you need to do another round as needed.
I found the instructions here: https://assets-us-01.kc-usercontent...432ed65/Elector PSP - Northern Fowl Mites.pdf

You spray it or do a soak. It is not injectable.

My questions are:
1. Is it normal to still see mites after an Elector soak, or should everything have been killed?
2. Does it take time for them to die after using Elector (through the mites biting her after the treatment)?
3. Could I spray her or dust her with Permethrin today (just a day after using the Elector) for a follow-up, or would that be too much?

My questions are:

***According to the National Pesticide Information Center, "Spinosad [(the active ingredient in Elector PSP)] affects the nervous system of insects that eat or touch it. It causes their muscles to flex uncontrollably. This leads to paralysis and ultimately their death, typically within 1-2 days."***

The NPIC also states that "Spinosad is practically non-toxic to slightly toxic to birds." Because of this, I would imagine that I could use the Elector again without a waiting period, and I could likely use Permethrin soon following a Elector PSP soak.

I have never used Elector PSP, so I cannot say how long it takes to work. It can be repeated in 14 days if needed according to the directions. If it doesn’t work eventually, than I would think about repeating it or using permethrin in 2 weeks.

Hello!

I wanted to post an update incase anyone is ever in the same boat with mites...

The Elector PSP worked FANTASTICALLY. And, it's a one and done... it kills adult, larvae, and eggs, so you don't have to reapply in 5-10 days.

After 24 hours, I didn't see a single mite, so I think the ones I was seeing were dying but not dead yet. So, if you see a couple mites after an Elector dip, don't fret.

I did read that you can spray them under the wings, around the vent, etc, but the soak seemed to work really well. I put 10mL Elector PSP per gallon of water in the sink, soaked her in there for a while, made sure she was nice and drenched, took her out (no rinsing or washing), and she's doing great a week later. Elector PSP is also non toxic to humans and chickens, so you don't even have to wear gloves. I even turned around for a second to turn back and see my chicken drinking the water, and I totally freaked out, but she was fine, and I read it's not toxic to them, anyway.

I'm so relieved, and I hope my experience can help someone out in the future!

Back
Top Bottom