Eggs on day 19, and I can't get the humidity above 58%

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
As the title says, I can't get the humidity high enough, both water reservoir are full, and I've add two small lids with water in them as well.
I didn't calibrate the hygrometer (I know, I should have) as its a Govee which was recommended to me, so its possible its wrong. What should I do???
Also, when I candled the eggs before lockdown, they looked like they were slightly more developed, so its possible they are going to hatch a day early.

If you didn't calibrate your hydrometer then it's probably a bit more than 58%. Definitely calibrate your hydrometers and thermometers your next hatch.

My lockdown humidity is 55-65% so I wouldn't worry about it being 58%.

If you didn't calibrate your hydrometer then it's probably a bit more than 58%. Definitely calibrate your hydrometers and thermometers your next hatch.

My lockdown humidity is 55-65% so I wouldn't worry about it being 58%.
Thanks a lot!
I did calibrate the thermometer, but thought I could get away with the hydrometer, as I was mostly going by the air cells and didn't consider what would happen at lockdown.
After I made this thread, I tried to raise it a bit more, using a wet paper towel, and accidentally spilled some water, which did raise the humidity, up to 75% for a while. Will this cause problems? I know it's not ideal.
Thanks again, I think next time I'll let the hens do it again, as I'm definitely losing sleep!

Your gonna drown your eggs keeping the humidity that high.
They were at 75% for only an hour or two, can that make enough of a difference so they drown?
As I said, it was an accident, should I lower the humidity for a bit to make up for, or just get it correct noand hope for the best?

Don't try and fiddle with it any more. You'll end up doing more harm then good.
I got it settled at 61%, and now three chicks have hatched! They don't seem to have any humidly related problems, so it seems that I might have been lucky, and didn't mess it up too much.
Its certainly been a learning curve, and I think next time I will do better.

Back
Top Bottom