Eggs hatching under mama, what next?

mommom4

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
big_smile.png
Our 6 eggs are hatching under 1 mama and 2 other hens are assisting with warmth. We opened the brooding box today and a cute head popped out! Felt it was too cool today to see what else we have, but they should all be hatching one day at a time. Since separation was a disaster a few days ago, we allowed mama to hatch out in the coop but it's a big step up (have a ramp) and another 5 inches or so to the brooding box area. We have 4 hens and 1 rooster- all white silkies. They seem to be doing the job well. Do we need to worry about the giant step down yet? Do they control the little ones to stay put and stay warm? We set up a dog pen with a brooding box on ground level. Do we move them there and when? We also have a light and area in our home ready for the little ones, if needed. Any guidance from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks! Would welcome emails.

What are your temps?

For the most part, the mom will take care of everyone. But if the chicks can not get back into the house, that may present a problem. If one is out and the rest are in, Mom may try to get everyone outside to get under her or she may leave the one to care for the rest. I usually make sure that the chicks can get everywhere that mom can go.

I just had a similar situation. Tried to move a broody before the eggs hatched - no go. So I waited until the eggs hatched and then moved the whole nest, mama and all, into a dog crate I had set up for them. No problem. The peeping chicks kept mama on the nest and she was happy to have a quiet place to be with her chicks. All are doing great now.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom