Egg with air bubbles. Have you ever seen this before?

ochochicas

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Washington State

Recently when candling eggs I was selling for hatching, I noticed some of my crested cream legbar eggs had air bubbles in them. The bubbles move to the top of the egg as it is rotated. So far I found about four eggs that have these bubbles. The eggs are from my hens and have not been dropped or mishandled. I am assuming they are all from the same hen, but I'm not certain since I have several legbars that lay very similar eggs.

Has anyone seen eggs with air bubbles before? Historically I have had a very low hatch success with the legbar eggs. I'm beginning to think the bubbles might be part of the problem. None of the eggs from my other hens have bubbles them. Do you think the bubbles in the eggs would prevent the chicks from developing normally and hatching?

That is interesting. I would ASSUME that instead of the air forming the air cell it is presenting itself in bubbles. I wonder why? It will be interesting to see if anyone else knows about this phenomenon.

I found this: Although the air cell usually forms in the large end of the egg, it occasionally moves freely toward the uppermost point of the egg as the egg is rotated. It is then called a free or floating air cell. If the main air cell ruptures, resulting in one or more small separate air bubbles floating beneath the main air cell, it is known as a bubbly air cell. (From:http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-facts/eggcyclopedia/a/air-cell)

Everything I read said the same thing, smaller air bubbles results from ruptured air cell.

I found this: Although the air cell usually forms in the large end of the egg, it occasionally moves freely toward the uppermost point of the egg as the egg is rotated. It is then called a free or floating air cell. If the main air cell ruptures, resulting in one or more small separate air bubbles floating beneath the main air cell, it is known as a bubbly air cell. (From:http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-facts/eggcyclopedia/a/air-cell)

Everything I read said the same thing, smaller air bubbles results from ruptured air cell.
But are they hatchable?

But are they hatchable?

My experience with bubbled air cells is mostly from having eggs shipped to me. About sixty percent of the bubbled eggs have hatched for me. The eggs I am talking about may also have been subjected to other shipping stress, like temperature changes.

So, I am guessing that bubbled air cells are not a stopper. At least some of your bubbled air cell eggs will hatch.

Back
Top Bottom