Egg Washing Techniques?

NiftyChick

Songster
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
California
Hi all! This is Rob's (Nifty-Chicken's) wife, Emily. My first time posting in the forum! How exciting!
smile.png
EGG-citing?
wink.png

Anyway, we're new to selling eggs. I just posted an ad to my Mother's Group and already have a taker for tomorow morning, but I really don't know what the proper way to wash an egg is (or if I even need to wash them at all). I normally just rinse them in cold water and rub off any accumulated gunk, then either towel dry or leave in the dish drainer to air dry. Is there a correct process to follow? What do the rest of you do? Is there anything special you do for eggs you'll be selling vs. eggs for your own use? Any advice would be wonderful!!

Also, this may be unrelated, but I've noticed that after washing/refrigerating, our eggs have some discoloration, like a lighter, whitish spot or some spidery whitish lines....could this be due to my not completely drying them before placing them in the carton???

Thank you, in advance, for you help! Rob is having such a great time with all of you!

-Emily Ludlow

Last edited:
Hi Emily!
Welcome!

I wash mine in water that is just warmer than the egg, so as to keep bacteria from sucking in through the pores back in the egg. (Yeah, but that is just what I was told! LOL)
I find that if I refrigerate the eggs overnight and take them out, after about 10 minutes condensation forms and I wipe gently with a warm wash cloth. If they are clean, then I don't wash at all. The winters and springs here in Oregon are so rainy that everything is muddy, so I do clean up the eggs.

Are the white spots where there was some poop on the egg? The spidery veins I get as well. It might just be an individual variation in the egg layer. As long as the shell is not weak, I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Hi Emily, Glad you are joining us. I don't sell me eggs except to hatch and then I don't wash them unless they are soiled. I do like Terri says, and just quickly run warm water on them and remove any soil and then let them air dry. We are told that the cuticle on the egg protects them so not to wash it off. If I were selling eggs for people to eat, I would dip them in a gallon of warm water with a Tablespoon of Clorox. Apparently they don't keep fresh as long when washed but it really is not an issue for people who buy eggs to eat. Most are consumed long before they would go bad anyway.

There was a good article on the other side of BYC regarding sanitizing eggs. It was more directed at the commercial growers but it was interesting on the Sanitizing method.

Hi Emily!

I wash mine in water warmer than the egg..... I just let the water run over the eggs then wash each egg under the running water. I do use an antibacterial soap, Palmolive, Dial.... whatever brand I happen to have. The clean eggs might just get water and the rinse of soap from the eggs washed before.

I don't know that the antibacterial soap does much more than ease my mind that I've sold the 'cleanest' egg I can.

Eggs for incubation should not be washed.... but I still do it anyway and get good hatches from my own eggs!

smile.png

Sandy

Hi Emily, welcome on board ! Love your avitar...

I don't wash mine because the bloom keeps the bacteria out. I tell customers to be sure and wash them before they crack them though. If one is dirty, I spray it with an Oxine solution then wipe off the crap with a paper towel. There are also some commercial egg washing solutions.

Now, was that confusing or what ?

Hi Em

The only time I recommend clean eggs is if there is big patches of poop stuck to them Other than that customer responsibility to wash prior to using.

I have made little stickers for my cartons that tell people to please remember that these are fresh eggs, and that they should be washed before use, but not before that as it will remove the boom that helps keep them fresh. I try to use clean eggs from under the hens, and gently wipe of any clumps with a dry rag.

I only wash mine if they are soiled, then I use warm water. I also don't refrigerate my eggs unless they have been out for 2 weeks.

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Your posts were really helpful. What a wealth of knowledge you provide!

I think I've decided to just brush off any dry shavings, etc. for the customers and attach a label to the carton w/instructions to wash before use (I've just been telling people verbally). We'll probably keep the "poopy" ones for us to wash/use here.
hmm.png

I hadn't considered the bleach/water idea....maybe I should do that w/the really soiled eggs before using?? Or maybe I'll do that if my customers seem at all grossed out needing to wash their own eggs prior to use.

Thanks again!!!
-Emily

Back
Top Bottom