PileatedFarms

Songster
Jun 29, 2021
Michigan
Still waiting on our girls to lay - Mars recently did the rooster squat for me so I think she is close. My question is:

Will I be able to tell the egg song apart from normal vocalizations? We have a chatty group and I don't want to miss an egg because I just thought they were yelling for more treats 🤣

Thank you in advance!

I usually don't get an Egg Song, though my Buff Brahma usually gives me false alarms. :rolleyes: I guess it really depends on the bird and breed. The best thing, I think, is to know their voices, and to understand their language. Such as, when a bird gets spooked setting off their alarm, what and how does she sound like? Once you know that, listen for something sounding slightly different.....

Isn't this fun? We all go through this mystery theatre, and if we're not running out there checking every time we think we hear the "song", (I get false alarms all day, and like right now, other ones join the choir), we are wondering which girl laid this. Sometimes we think we have it figured, then it changes. Either fun, or frustrating, but I think we all love our chooks.:love

Still no eggs but they are more vocal everyday!
How old are yours? I have 5 different breeds, (ISA brown, Golden Comet, Black sex link and a Maran x cream legbar, Welsummer) who started laying over time, in that order. From the first at 18 wks. to the last at 28 wks. Mostly depends on the breed. They are all unique, like we are. Keep looking, even in non nesting box places, like everywhere.
:oops: So eggciting to get that first one!

19 weeks yesterday! Their combs are growing every day and two think I'm a rooster now 🤣 the most mature are forsure any day, but some of the others may take a few more weeks!

Back
Top Bottom