Egg bound vs stopped laying for winter

aking19

Chirping
Jul 31, 2022
Tennessee
I’ve been reading/researching on egg bound hens but I still am unsure whether my girl has stopped laying for the winter or if she is truly egg bound. She hasn’t laid an egg in 4 days and she lays just about every day. She skips a day here and there but never 4 days. She is around 8 mo old, started laying in mid-Sept, all of her eggs are always the same size, shape and color. She seems to be acting normal eating and drinking, also pooping looks normal. No walking funny, squatting or pumping her tail. I felt around in her vent a bit and didn’t feel an egg stuck. I am almost thinking she may have just stopped laying for the winter but this is my first year with chickens and I have read that first year pullets don’t usually stop laying in the winter?! Should I wait it out and see if she lays an egg in the next few days? I don’t know what to expect if/when they stop laying for winter vs actually egg bound. Thank you in advance!

Egg bound hens will look sick, and be actively trying to lay eggs. What breed is your hen? It's normal for egg production to pause. Sometimes a day or sometimes a few weeks. Egg production is affected by many things including feed, water consumption, light, stress, and temperatures, to name a few. I think it's more unusual for hen to lay daily constantly without any breaks. That I've only seen in sex links.

Egg bound hens will look sick, and be actively trying to lay eggs. What breed is your hen? It's normal for egg production to pause. Sometimes a day or sometimes a few weeks. Egg production is affected by many things including feed, water consumption, light, stress, and temperatures, to name a few. I think it's more unusual for hen to lay daily constantly without any breaks. That I've only seen in sex links.
She definitely doesn’t look sick. I am truly not sure what breed she is, she is a mix for sure. I suspect she might be a sex link but all my girls are mixed, they have all been laying daily even now in January. My only other question is if they do stop laying for winter, etc. do they just one day stop laying or is it more of a gradual thing?

Most first year pullets will lay on and off during their first winter. What type of climate you have can affect it. Here when it's colder they take a break as energy is used to stay warm.

Generally egg production picks up after the solstice, and becomes more regular as spring approaches. Production is driven by light in general.

In my experiences pullets will lay in spurts. Taking breaks between laying regularly until we reach March and April. Than they generally lay well again into June before taking another break.

Second year and older hens may stop laying during the winter months. Mine generally stop for a few months before resuming.

Most first year pullets will lay on and off during their first winter. What type of climate you have can affect it. Here when it's colder they take a break as energy is used to stay warm.

Generally egg production picks up after the solstice, and becomes more regular as spring approaches. Production is driven by light in general.

In my experiences pullets will lay in spurts. Taking breaks between laying regularly until we reach March and April. Than they generally lay well again into June before taking another break.

Second year and older hens may stop laying during the winter months. Mine generally stop for a few months before resuming.
Thank you! This is helpful. She was the first to start laying, maybe she is also the first to take a break. I will watch her for any changes but as long as she is acting normal, I’ll leave her to do her thing. Thanks so much! :)

Update: 5 weeks and still no eggs. I realized about two weeks ago she was going through a soft molt. I didn’t think molt until I noticed one morning her head was bald she lost majority of feathers on her head overnight, I picked her up (she hollered in protest) to check for parasites and as I was lifting feathers to check her skin saw a whole bunch of new pin feathers growing in. Now I know why she stopped laying eggs and certainly why she hollered when I picked her up. She is regrowing feathers nicely and hopefully will start laying eggs again soon. Thank you to all for the responses and info!

Great answer, right in point👍

Back
Top Bottom