Egg bound silkie?

Ah hmm…giving the calcium plus D3 has always worked for me when my hens have been egg bound. Have you given her a nice warm soak with epsom salt, too? Some people say they can feel and egg if they palpate the abdomen of an egg bound hen, try to see if you can feel one. You say she is skinny and not wanting to eat, has she ever been dewormed? I know you said her poop looks normal and healthy, though. Have you checked her for mites and lice?
I haven't given her a soak yet

You might try giving her a warm soak in an epsom salt bath to try to relax things and get the egg moving if she is in fact egg bound.

I never have had luck feeling around the abdomen for an egg when my hen has been egg bound, either.

Make sure she is staying hydrated and able to rest in a quiet darker area to try to pass the egg.

You might try giving her a warm soak in an epsom salt bath to try to relax things and get the egg moving if she is in fact egg bound.

I never have had luck feeling around the abdomen for an egg when my hen has been egg bound, either.

Make sure she is staying hydrated and able to rest in a quiet darker area to try to pass the egg.
Okay thank you. If she is egg bound would she have to pass the egg by the morning? Because I was reading that eggbound hens can only have a egg inside for 48 hours.

Well a lot of people do say by 24-48 hours she will pass if she doesn’t lay, but I think I have seen posts where a little longer has passed before the hen finally lays.

I had a hen who I swore was egg bound, and I treated her for it. But a few days went by and she never ended up laying. It ended up being a crop issue, not egg binding. So there is always a chance there is something else going on if that time frame passes and she is still doing okay.

Is she active at all?

Well a lot of people do say by 24-48 hours she will pass if she doesn’t lay, but I think I have seen posts where a little longer has passed before the hen finally lays.

I had a hen who I swore was egg bound, and I treated her for it. But a few days went by and she never ended up laying. It ended up being a crop issue, not egg binding. So there is always a chance there is something else going on if that time frame passes and she is still doing okay.

Is she active at all?
When she is with my other 2 hens she is mainly walking slowly and pecking around at the ground with her tail all the way up. She is usually the most talkative out of my hens but today she just makes slight noises but not like she usually does. She will eat her worms and calcium and D3 on her own so I don't have to force feed her those. She is lighter in energy today.

Hi there has been a change in her poop and a change in her posture. Today she wanted to go to her nest so she went up to her eggs but before that these were her poops.
Resized_Resized_20240513_103237.jpeg
Resized_Resized_20240513_103241.jpeg

This is her new posture
Screenshot_20240513_115322_Gallery.jpg

Are you still giving calcium citrate with D3? Is there any chance you can feel an egg in her abdomen now? Did she have a full crop last night and empty this morning again?

Are you still giving calcium citrate with D3? Is there any chance you can feel an egg in her abdomen now? Did she have a full crop last night and empty this morning again?
Yes full crop at night and empty in the morning. I will check her when I get home if I can feel a egg. Yes I am still feeding her the calcium and D3 and epsom salt bath

Back
Top Bottom