EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Morning Mike. Don't envy the humidity at all. All the green trees would be nice though. 60 degrees last Monday possible 106 this coming Monday. Getting hotter from here out. Humidity should be around 35%

I'll pass on the 106. I turned the AC on for a little while to get the humidity out of the house. Feels much better now.

So, the kids and I just received some hatching eggs in the mail (first time!). My plan is to tuck them under my broody after they rest for 24 hrs.

Upon inspection, there were a couple sweating, one cracked and several look oily? maybe or maybe just porous? See below

View attachment 1042395

I am totally new to purchasing hatching eggs and read that they should rest and NOT be turned for the first several days. I am off to fully candle them now. The couple I did check had detached air cells.

1. Should I fire up the incubator for the first several days (to set them upright for air cell reasons) and then after a few days tuck them under broody to avoid her turning them the first few days?

2. Does anyone know of a thread on air cell damage (like what to look for etc, I'm visual!)

3. Which eggs should I definitely cull out prior to setting... (cracked, porous, sweating etc.)?

These are bantam eggs so I know our chances are even slimmer :hmm

OR 4. should I abandon our broody all together and just plan to hatch these in the incubator?

TIA!

I still haven't gotten much advice on this HELP!

So, the kids and I just received some hatching eggs in the mail (first time!). My plan is to tuck them under my broody after they rest for 24 hrs.

Upon inspection, there were a couple sweating, one cracked and several look oily? maybe or maybe just porous? See below

View attachment 1042395

I am totally new to purchasing hatching eggs and read that they should rest and NOT be turned for the first several days. I am off to fully candle them now. The couple I did check had detached air cells.

1. Should I fire up the incubator for the first several days (to set them upright for air cell reasons) and then after a few days tuck them under broody to avoid her turning them the first few days?

2. Does anyone know of a thread on air cell damage (like what to look for etc, I'm visual!)

3. Which eggs should I definitely cull out prior to setting... (cracked, porous, sweating etc.)?

These are bantam eggs so I know our chances are even slimmer :hmm

OR 4. should I abandon our broody all together and just plan to hatch these in the incubator?

TIA!
I'd put them in the incubator and forget the broody. I'd set all the eggs and keep a very close eye and nose on them... Cracks can be repaired with new-skin. I've had one hatch before.

Let me look for pics of AC damage.

Back
Top Bottom