EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

So, the kids and I just received some hatching eggs in the mail (first time!). My plan is to tuck them under my broody after they rest for 24 hrs.

Upon inspection, there were a couple sweating, one cracked and several look oily? maybe or maybe just porous? See below

Photo Jun 14, 12 16 59 PM.jpg

I am totally new to purchasing hatching eggs and read that they should rest and NOT be turned for the first several days. I am off to fully candle them now. The couple I did check had detached air cells.

1. Should I fire up the incubator for the first several days (to set them upright for air cell reasons) and then after a few days tuck them under broody to avoid her turning them the first few days?

2. Does anyone know of a thread on air cell damage (like what to look for etc, I'm visual!)

3. Which eggs should I definitely cull out prior to setting... (cracked, porous, sweating etc.)?

These are bantam eggs so I know our chances are even slimmer :hmm

OR 4. should I abandon our broody all together and just plan to hatch these in the incubator?

TIA!

So, the kids and I just received some hatching eggs in the mail (first time!). My plan is to tuck them under my broody after they rest for 24 hrs.

Upon inspection, there were a couple sweating, one cracked and several look oily? maybe or maybe just porous? See below

View attachment 1042395

I am totally new to purchasing hatching eggs and read that they should rest and NOT be turned for the first several days. I am off to fully candle them now. The couple I did check had detached air cells.

1. Should I fire up the incubator for the first several days (to set them upright for air cell reasons) and then after a few days tuck them under broody to avoid her turning them the first few days?

2. Does anyone know of a thread on air cell damage (like what to look for etc, I'm visual!)

3. Which eggs should I definitely cull out prior to setting... (cracked, porous, sweating etc.)?

OR 4. should I abandon our broody all together and just plan to hatch these in the incubator?

TIA!
Against my better judgement I kept the sweating ones but they were all put in a separate incubator. One of five is leaking. All have loose air cells but my incubator turns so slowly I don't think it will hurt mine to turn. They are all upright.
You can put new skin on the cracked ones from what I've been told. Fortunately none of my shipped ones were cracked. I'll know more how they are doing this weekend as it will be week one candleing. Half are Bantams
Good luck with yours.

Against my better judgement I kept the sweating ones but they were all put in a separate incubator. One of five is leaking. All have loose air cells but my incubator turns so slowly I don't think it will hurt mine to turn. They are all upright.
You can put new skin on the cracked ones from what I've been told. Fortunately none of my shipped ones were cracked. I'll know more how they are doing this weekend as it will be week one candleing. Half are Bantams
Good luck with yours.

Thank you! I look forward to hearing about your hatch as well! I'm hoping to put mine under our broody but will fire up the incubator if I have to

Thanks! Of course, the "to do" list is already 3 pages long and growing. After changing everyone's water this AM, I grabbed book, braced myself, and headed to the tax office to endure the long long wait to get my new trailer registered. I was delighted to find that I had arrived in a lull, and got seen right away - very fast. I'm already home!

Now, let's see, what's next on the list....

Well, what was next on the list?

View attachment 1042395

TIA!

I'd use the incubator with shipped eggs with bad air cells. If the broody is sitting on infertile eggs and stays broody, you could give her the chicks when they hatch.

The floor is concrete

OK, since you mentioned mulch I was thinking maybe dirt floor and do the deep liter method. I would use pine shavings. But mulch would probably work fine.

So my cockerel has been doing the deed with one of the hens, and someone in my area was looking for some fertilized eggs so I am going to give her some. The cockerel is only 3 months old but we noticed that hen's eggs have been fertile, so seems like some should hatch at least. I have been keeping the eggs in the fridge though; does that affect their fertility? Should I take them out of the fridge and let them sit a few days? She is picking them up on Friday.

Back
Top Bottom