Easy to Build Chicken Run Made with T-Posts

BudgieKing15

Songster
Mar 29, 2020
Winston-Salem NC
My dad and I built this chicken run with 10 t-posts and 2 in. by 4 in. wire mesh. In the future, we will build a mobile chicken coop to dock at present wooden door opening.

Attachments

• Chicken Coop 2020 5.jpg
    Chicken Coop 2020 5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 672
  • Chicken Coop 2020 4.jpg
    Chicken Coop 2020 4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 593
  • Chicken Coop 2020 3.jpg
    Chicken Coop 2020 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 512
  • Chicken Coop 2020 2.jpg
    Chicken Coop 2020 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 556
  • Chicken Coop 2020 1.jpg
    Chicken Coop 2020 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 559
If my eyes are working your pen appears to be approximately 2' wide by 8' long (I counted the number of wires between your t-posts). That gives about 16 square feet in total.

The most often proscribed space requirement for chickens is 4 sq feet of coop plus 10 sq ft of run PER BIRD. Space requirements use only the L x W dimensions not height.

Last edited:
Tposts are great! I fenced my run the same way, only bothered with wood posts for the gates and corners.
The 2x4 galvanized wire is great as well, I've been thinking of making some small hoop style tractors with it, for day use/integration. My a frame tractor is so heavy! I got the four foot roll, it looks like you did too, I didn't cover mine but I find none of my birds fly over it(they were beasts about going through my electric poultry mesh though, and it was just as high).

I think that's a fine size for just four birds, looks like it's ~4x16? That size is eazy to cover, which depending on your predator situation may not be optional. Folks are getting confused by the lack of scale, I think.

I'd put some clutter in for the birds though. A bit of shade, some levels. A pallet or piece of plywood on some cinderblocks is good, or a couple old stumps to turn over for bugs.

Back
Top Bottom