Easter Eggs laying different colored eggs per week

JessicaPoff

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
Can someone make sense of this for me because when I posted this asking on facebook why this is, basically I was laughed at and told that is impossible. So someone has to explain how.
At the time I had only 4 hens. ( I have more now but I am speaking about at that time). So two of my hens are Buff Orps and the other two are easter eggers. My Buff Orps lay the pretty pinkish brown colored eggs. They lay everyday. My two easter eggers lay every day too but they will lay b/w the real pretty bluish light green colored eggs. So that is 4 eggs a day that I collect. BUT there are times where I will go out there and there will be 4 pinkish brown colored eggs. Ok so did my Buff Orpingtons lay those who did my Easter Eggers. I might go out and there will be 3 pinkish brown eggs and 1 bluish green egg. Week by week it is like my easter eggers are laying different colored eggs. Can someone please explain why? I know I am not crazy. And I was told it is very rare, extremely rare to have a hen lay two eggs a day esp every day. So what is the deal?

No. The buffs only are double laying. The EEs can only lay blue based eggs and the buffs are laying the white ones. When you crack the EEs eggs, the inside will be blue. Can't change that. The outside color will change slightly based on how much brown pigment is laid over the egg. The buffs eggs will be white inside. Again the lightness or darkness of the brown pigment will vary, typically decreasing in intensity over the laying season. If the hen is laying twice in a day, the eggs are moving faster and will have less brown as well.
I'm guessing they are young just starting to lay. They'll get with it soon.

I have some hens that used lay white, I changed they're diet and they layed brown, now they lay white :idunnoagain. That is a fact because I watched it.
That makes sense, because brown eggs are white eggs with a coating on it. The thickness of the coating can change with nutrition and with time (darker when first laying or after a break in laying, lighter after regular laying)

That makes sense, because brown eggs are white eggs with a coating on it. The thickness of the coating can change with nutrition and with time (darker when first laying or after a break in laying, lighter after regular laying)
Yes, This^^^
...and sometimes lack of brown coating can be just a glitch.

...and I already new this but it didn't set in when that happened. Thank you 🤣

Back
Top Bottom