Easter Egger club!

I have four on floor level. I have a 3" lip on them and they are fully enclosed accept for the front. I made three different sizes because I have a variety of sized girls. They are tucked back in a corner which doesn't get much chicken traffic. I have a cabinet that I keep some supplies in that butts right up against the left end and the right end goes up against the outer wall. I can take a picture and attach and maybe someone can tell me if they are acceptable.

Hens seem to all like the same nestbox even if there are others to choose from. Sometimes hens will wait in line to use a favorite box occupied by another hen and if they get tired of waiting might go somewhere else outside the coop to lay their egg. Usually a new pullet laying her first eggs just takes a little while to get used to following where the older hens are laying their eggs in the nestboxes. I'd love to see your boxes. They are probably fine and the new girls just need time to get used to laying eggs in them.

It seems my girls stand and complain at the current occupant of the favorite nest box, lol! Kinda hard to do your business with someone yelling at you to hurry it up
1f602.png
1f923.png

We just got our first batch of chicks ever. Got 12 Wyandotte and needed 3 more for order so we got EEs for the fun eggs. They are the greatest chicks ever. This is French Frie

She is a ham. Always the first to check out what we're doing. She's almost 2 weeks old and already trying to fly. If I put my hand in she crawls up my arm.

This is Pigeon. She is pretty funny too. So happy we got them!

We just got our first batch of chicks ever. Got 12 Wyandotte and needed 3 more for order so we got EEs for the fun eggs. They are the greatest chicks ever. This is French Frie
She is a ham. Always the first to check out what we're doing. She's almost 2 weeks old and already trying to fly. If I put my hand in she crawls up my arm.

They are adorable!!!!! Love easter eggers.

Ha! What a great pic of FF.

So I read that sometimes they bury their eggs. Look harder today and moved some straw around. Found two more eggs. Lol

Another lesson learned.
1f609.png

<Snip!>Chickens like seclusion for laying eggs. Sometimes a half-curtain over the nestboxes or using round-hole nestbox entrances will entice hens to lay their eggs there.</Snip!>
As opposed to the privacy of the coop floor or their poop trays?
lau.gif

I think I may have figured out which of my August chicks is laying that new blue egg, Smokey squatted for me yesterday, as opposed to trying to avoid my attempt to pet her like my chickens usually do!

Last edited:
As opposed to the privacy of the coop floor or their poop trays?
lau.gif

I think I may have figured out which of my August chicks is laying that new blue egg, ObLaDa squatted for me yesterday, as opposed to trying to avoid my attempt to pet her like my chickens usually do!

I think chickens are crazy in general LOL! Sweet addictive little things!

Back
Top Bottom