Easter Egger club!

Quote: Nope you're good. I subscribe to no illusions of perfection. If anything I was the "other end".
lol.png

Silly newbie question: Is it possible to get at least a good guess at an Easter Eggers' parentage from it's physical characteristics, like feather color, comb and such?
hu.gif
Depends. Hatchery Easter Eggers aren't really mixed breeds at all. Hatcheries have been breeding them since the early 1900s, and they've changed very little through the years. They just haven't been selectively bred to meet a breed standard like the Araucana and Ameraucana have been. They are actually as close as you can get to the originally imported South American birds.
Most seem to think that Easter Eggers are Araucana or Ameraucana crosses. The reality is that it's the Araucana and Ameraucana that have Easter Egger behind their ancestry, not the other way around.

Silly newbie question: Is it possible to get at least a good guess at an Easter Eggers' parentage from it's physical characteristics, like feather color, comb and such? :confused:

I wonder this too....one of our Easter Eggers, Arlo, looks a lot like a Cornish, she has the big body and the blocky head. I don't know much about Cornish's because I've never had them, but I just think it's interesting how much she looks like one "build wise".

Sooo-oo let me get this straight. If I were to cross say, an Ameraucana with, for example a Production Red I would not be 'making' an Easter Egger, rather I would just be un-making an Ameraucana?
There are two different types of Easter Eggers, those that are Ameraucana/Araucana/Legbar mixed breeds, and those that are hatchery sourced. The vast majority of Easter Eggers are sourced from hatcheries and are not mixed breeds. The crossbreeds are the result of hobby breeders, and makeup a very small percentage of all Easter Eggers.
No you would not be un-making an Ameraucana, because Production Red was not used in the development of the breed. You would be making Easter Eggers, but it should be made clear that they are Ameraucana mixes and not the usual Easter Eggers. The Production Red/Ameraucana cross would look different from a typical, hatchery Easter Egger.

Back
Top Bottom