Easter Egger club!

All the chickens are well but the last storm collapsed my roof on my run so we had to rebuild in a day so the chickens could come out again... oddly enough it looks better
1f604.png
1f425.png

I really like how you were able to redo run roof...love the netting and wood beams on top. I'm going to show husband this weekend.

I promise you Freya is a she and when she lays an egg I'll show you she has no male feathering

Love it! I'd put up the popcorn eating emoji but I don't know how. :)

I'm swinging both ways with Freya. My immediate reaction was 'boy' because of the coloring comb and arching tail. That comb is hard to tell on Freya because of what I'm guessing is a melanizing factor adding some darkness which might be disguising the coloring. On the other hand, I have a girl who had arching tail feathers at that age, but her comb was ivory for a very long time. Time will tell! You can cheat and find the skin along the back where the wings tips fall and see if there's any saddle feathers started. I think they peaked through the skin at about 11 weeks? He was crowing by 14.

The name is perfect if she's a she, by the way :) either way, absolutely striking bird.

Love it! I'd put up the popcorn eating emoji but I don't know how. :)

I'm swinging both ways with Freya. My immediate reaction was 'boy' because of the coloring comb and arching tail. That comb is hard to tell on Freya because of what I'm guessing is a melanizing factor adding some darkness which might be disguising the coloring. On the other hand, I have a girl who had arching tail feathers at that age, but her comb was ivory for a very long time. Time will tell! You can cheat and find the skin along the back where the wings tips fall and see if there's any saddle feathers started. I think they peaked through the skin at about 11 weeks? He was crowing by 14.

The name is perfect if she's a she, by the way :) either way, absolutely striking bird.
thank you the darkness on her head makes her comb look much redder and she's not showing any signs of attempted crowing nor any saddle feathers I've checked her tail looks so boy because the straight paddle like feathers molted and her curved feathers are so round at the tips... all my boys try to mount her too and they don't try on each other

Love it! I'd put up the popcorn eating emoji but I don't know how.
smile.png

The name is perfect if she's a she, by the way
smile.png
either way, absolutely striking bird.
our chipmunks are over 12 weeks, they have markings on the wings that say male, but only one is showing signs of long feathers on the neck, its hard to sex when there is no tail, im hoping our EE is a hen as she is all white with no other marks, our black araucana is deffinately female as her comb is still very light and almost none existent, 1 of the 4 chipmunks looks like its mum, very dark with no patches on the wings, for now, i think we have 3 and 3

They aren't sexlinked, but they can be sexed by the same rules as other barred/cuckoo breeds. 'Light" barring indicates male. Darker barring indicates female.
Of the Golden Cuckoos, looks like you have a male and a female. The Easter Egger looks male.

They were purchased at papas poultry in redding. All as pullets. Said they are sexed as day olds because of the barring. Sure if they turned out to be roosters he would swap them out..

This is great! I only have one EE, a pure white hen named Blondie (she's more of a platinum blonde ;) ).

She's the bigger one in this silly photo. The others are bantams. They found this nice spot for preening and are totally unaware of the peril ;)

Back
Top Bottom