Easter Egger club!

Wow, she does look a lot like a dark cornish. I Have read that some EE have no beard or muffs, so I was not concerned that she has a clean face. I am still confused by her green feet though. I know nothing about dark cornish.
sad.png
Dark Cornish -
Not the most docile of birds, they tend to be more territorial than most breeds so lots of space is important for them, average layers of brown eggs, do tend toward broodiness, are usually very good mothers. It's the crisp, clean lacing that points towards Dark Cornish. As she matures, it should become even more distinct.

If you are certain the eggs are all from the same EE my thought is that before being layed the egg moved slower in the brown pigment chamber to absorb more of the brown pigment that covered the original greenish-blue shell.  Are the brown eggs showing the greenish-blue color inside the shell to be certain they are from your EE?
So here's my EEs egg, I see no brown pigment except on the outside. Do you think her eggs may go back green at some point?

She has had green legs since day one. I have posted her three times in the easter egger tips and tricks thread and no one has ever question her being an easter egger. Hmmm. No idea what to think now.

Based on amount of feathering on face I still think you have an EE. Here is a typical dark cornish face shot. I am not all that experienced though. You will know when she lays though.

So here's my EEs egg, I see no brown pigment except on the outside. Do you think her eggs may go back green at some point?
The brown is only an outer coating. The inside of the shell was the important part. There are only two possibilities for eggshell color, white or blue. That shell is blue. Which means that the first couple eggs were laid before her egg laying system could apply the brown coating. Now that her egg laying system is getting more mature and consistent, that olive green is what she will usually lay.

The brown is only an outer coating. The inside of the shell was the important part. There are only two possibilities for eggshell color, white or blue. That shell is blue. Which means that the first couple eggs were laid before her egg laying system could apply the brown coating. Now that her egg laying system is getting more mature and consistent, that olive green is what she will usually lay.
Ok thank you. Seems like EEs can be so confusing in every aspect.

How does it show if it is green or blue if it has a brown shell. Im confused
Think of it this way, all eggshells are either white or blue. Brown eggs are the result of a 'coating' applied on top of a white eggshell. Green eggs are the same coating, but applied to a blue eggshell.
The genes for the coating are complex, and that is why there are so many shades of brown, ranging from light cream, to deep brown. This also accounts for the wide range of 'green' eggs.

Based on amount of feathering on face I still think you have an EE. Here is a typical dark cornish face shot. I am not all that experienced though. You will know when she lays though.

I was just thinking that. I will be anxiously awaiting that egg!
big_smile.png
Maybe someone crossed a dark cornish with a blue egger lol. I will be watching her closely either way. She is definitely a little spitfire lately. She chases Holly (EE) all the time.

Back
Top Bottom