Easter Egger club!

These birds if raised correctly can be healthy happy birds, it just requires lots of exercise and restricted food. But a breed you might consider instead is the Dixie Rainbow (or pioneer) They are pretty birds, grow slower then the CX, but still much faster then a non meat bird. I do still restrict their feed somewhat (they all get breakfast and supper and free range throughout the day), but they are over all healthier.
Thank you! I bet these would be a great option for us. We have several acres they could range on. We will be hatching chicks, but would rather sell the chicks and have meat birds separate from our flock. We spend a lot of time with them and get too attached. At what age do you process yours? How is the flavor?
I have not eaten these yet, last year was my first year with meat birds and I only grew the CX. I did think the CX tasted better, i am not sure if it is that they really did, or if it was just because I knew where they came from. I plan to process these around 12 to 14 weeks. I have some red rangers (similar to the Dixies) I need to process soon. When you do your first process, have everything ready. Have your knifes there (make sure they are sharp enough) have the water boiling, have a table there (my dream is to someday get a portable fish cleaning station for this job) have some running water near. Wear black long sleeves, it helps some so you cannot see the blood. And just remind yourself they had a great life and one really bad day.

I have never had chicken that wasn't in a restaurant or grocery store. I am very excited to finally have some! We are about a month away. It will be a very special day when we have that first chicken. I know we all will truly appreciate it, knowing we raised it and loved it. The ones we will have to process are BRs. One is looking pretty meaty already (probably more fluff than meat lol), the other a runt. I am struggling a little with the thought of killing our birds, but the benefits to my family keep me focused. We have three kids that I want to see eating clean, hormone free meat. I also want them to appreciate where their food comes from. This has been a tremendously enlightening experience for our whole family. :) I stopped buying chicken at the store months ago. It really is so bland.

Cool post&excited for you!

We have had chickens for a few years but the last where the first time I learned to cook 'home stock',still can't cook OURS (lol) But when there's a charitable gift I oblige. Soon as I figure out how to do more on this website I will share some prep&recipe's.
Promise ya-you will be amazed at how quickly the kids clean their plates&ask for more!
Thank goodness for the old school and guidance from past generations.

Since this thread is on the subject of meat birds I will share . Home grown chickens have less fat and a little more texture . I prefer this . It may take some getting used to if all you ever had is commercial raised chicken . The old categories of chicken have lost their meaning to consumers . Fryers are the youngest and tenderest . Roasters are bit older and larger . Stewing chickens are older and tougher . Best for stewing / slow cooking . Stewing hens are often old hens . Most old laying hens go to the soup makers .

If you find yourself with 6 month old cockerels you can skin them and remove the breast meat , thigh and leg meat . Cut into bite size chunks and fry or cook . This makes them seem more tender . Kind of like Chinese style chunks . If you are frugal the leftover carcass makes good soup stock .

Oh goodness, I can't imagine killing any of my four chickens. But we have them for egg laying and when they get to old they'll just be pets at that point.

Now I have some interesting news. My Easter egger is the only one laying and considering where I live, I was scared of them making too much noise but she just lays her eggs leaves the coop and goes about her business. Not a peep!! My buff Orpington on the other hand was practicing her song and that girl can get pretty loud. I can't wait to see what happens when she starts laying !!

I have not eaten these yet, last year was my first year with meat birds and I only grew the CX. I did think the CX tasted better, i am not sure if it is that they really did, or if it was just because I knew where they came from.
I plan to process these around 12 to 14 weeks. I have some red rangers (similar to the Dixies) I need to process soon.
When you do your first process, have everything ready. Have your knifes there (make sure they are sharp enough) have the water boiling, have a table there (my dream is to someday get a portable fish cleaning station for this job) have some running water near. Wear black long sleeves, it helps some so you cannot see the blood. And just remind yourself they had a great life and one really bad day.
"And just remind yourself they had a great life and one really bad day."

Thank you for that. I'll be repeating this in my head for sure. I already had a cry about it and got it out of my system. I am sure after the first time, it will get easier. Also having meat birds separate will help. I have been checkin out those fish stations! I am going to get one for DH on his birthday. Then we can just use it for fishing and chicken.
wink.png
We have a spigot on one side of the barn (chickens on other side), so they won't see anything and plenty of room to work.

Since this thread is on the subject of meat birds I will share . Home grown chickens have less fat and a little more texture . I prefer this . It may take some getting used to if all you ever had is commercial raised chicken . The old categories of chicken have lost their meaning to consumers . Fryers are the youngest and tenderest . Roasters are bit older and larger . Stewing chickens are older and tougher . Best for stewing / slow cooking . Stewing hens are often old hens . Most old laying hens go to the soup makers .

If you find yourself with 6 month old cockerels you can skin them and remove the breast meat , thigh and leg meat . Cut into bite size chunks and fry or cook . This makes them seem more tender . Kind of like Chinese style chunks . If you are frugal the leftover carcass makes good soup stock .

We plan to use our old hens for stewing. I love them dearly, but we do not waste. And I am almost more excited about the stock than the meat! I make my own stock anyway. But having stock from home grown chicken can't be beat (so I hear). Thank you for the advice on the cockerels. :)

On the subject of our EEs, has anyone had a sexed pullet decide she was a cockerel after 12 weeks? lol My EE Osh-Kosh, was voted cockerel at 5 weeks, maybe pullet at 8 weeks, and then for sure pullet at 11 weeks. I was happy to have a final verdict, but now a week later, she is sprouting red on her shoulders. That is a boy color from what I have learned. Still has a small, light pink comb, slightly raised. She acts like a pullet for the most part. But I did catch her rounding up the girls today. That made the ole eyebrow go up. Now am unsure again.

On the subject of our EEs, has anyone had a sexed pullet decide she was a cockerel after 12 weeks? lol My EE Osh-Kosh, was voted cockerel at 5 weeks, maybe pullet at 8 weeks, and then for sure pullet at 11 weeks. I was happy to have a final verdict, but now a week later, she is sprouting red on her shoulders. That is a boy color from what I have learned. Still has a small, light pink comb, slightly raised. She acts like a pullet for the most part. But I did catch her rounding up the girls today. That made the ole eyebrow go up. Now am unsure again.

My "girl" started crowing at 14 weeks :)

Can you part another picture?

The only trait in addition to the red shoulders that clued me in before 14 weeks was his tail position. Other than that, he had a small comb, narrow legs, etc. EEs are difficult. Although my Sussex this year is proving to be even more difficult to tell!

Everyone said mine were pullets up til they were 17 weeks. They made crowing noises early on since they were younger but nothing that really said cockerel --but at 17 weeks it was everyday - the crowing so I had to rehome.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom