Easter Egger club!

Ok! I got some more photos of the EE babies!

And then, of course, the best photo of the night.

So adorable!!
jumpy.gif

Chipmunk was my favorite as well. She was by far the sweetest and most outgoing, and I was very saddened to find out she'd been killed. It's a shame I wasn't even able to breed her before it happened.

There was a very scary situation in the brooder tonight. I brought in some fresh wheat straw and when I put it in the brooder, there was a very scary monster in there! There were screams of distress, warning calls, and young cockerels on the attack. The horrid intruder was finally subdued after about 15 minutes and found to be..... an oak leaf!!
DH and I are
lau.gif
gig.gif

I've got a question. I'm sure the answer is somewhere on this site, but I'm hoping to get a quick answer from you guys.
One of my favorite EE's, Pum'kin, appears to have not emptied her crop for at least 2 days. Now it's not swollen, just full. It's not rock hard, and it doesn't feel like mushy oatmeal. It feels more like a "hacky sac". And by that I mean it feels like it's full of tiny beads. Should I be worried? She doesn't appear to be uncomfortable, or sick. She continues to eat, although not as vigarously as the others. Probably because she's "full". And I suspect she is the one that hasn't laid in a week.
Also I don't know if this has anything to do with it. But I've been noticing black tar-like poop both in the run, and the coop. I've seen this (occasionally) before, and was told it was normal. Last night I spotted something I hadn't seen since they were chicks...a puddle of orange foamy poop. Now I have no idea who it came from. But it's unusual for my girls. And with the crop situation, I thought I would mention it.

I've got a question. I'm sure the answer is somewhere on this site, but I'm hoping to get a quick answer from you guys.
One of my favorite EE's, Pum'kin, appears to have not emptied her crop for at least 2 days. Now it's not swollen, just full. It's not rock hard, and it doesn't feel like mushy oatmeal. It feels more like a "hacky sac". And by that I mean it feels like it's full of tiny beads. Should I be worried? She doesn't appear to be uncomfortable, or sick. She continues to eat, although not as vigarously as the others. Probably because she's "full". And I suspect she is the one that hasn't laid in a week.
Also I don't know if this has anything to do with it. But I've been noticing black tar-like poop both in the run, and the coop. I've seen this (occasionally) before, and was told it was normal. Last night I spotted something I hadn't seen since they were chicks...a puddle of orange foamy poop. Now I have no idea who it came from. But it's unusual for my girls. And with the crop situation, I thought I would mention it.

Update: ok wth?! Now one of my other EE's is having an issue! She seemed fine when I let her out if the coop this morning. Now she's moving slow, her butt is soaking wet, and I just pulled what appears to be a wad of straw out of her butt! And, she looks like she has a hemoroid...
I'm going to bathe her, and set her up in the house. But first I'll have to clean my dog crate so she has some place to be while she dries and I can observe her

You might have better luck seeking advice in the illness and injuries forum.

Thanks. I did some searching. I forgot the to mention the foul smell in the wet butt. Looks like it might be vent Gleet. So I am getting my dog crate cleaned up and ready for her. Then I plan in bathing her and keeping her in the house for a few days (or until better). My problem at this point is finding the proper OTC meds for her cause I am NOT paying $76 to the only vet untown that treats chickens :(
Of course none of this has anything to do with the other ones crop...

Back
Top Bottom