Easter Egger club!

That is a nice sized egg!
thumbsup.gif

We are thrilled about her eggs. We have gotten 7 from her so far.
celebrate.gif

Well here is what I know about the roo. His mom was an americauna and his dad is a rir. Our roo hatched out of a blue egg!

For the sake of argument we'll assume his mother carried two blue genes. The RIR carried none, therefore when bred to a non-blue carrying hen half of the offspring will get a copy of blue, and the other half would get RIR brown mixed with whatever the hen carries. In the case of a good dark egg Marans, she'll either produce olive eggers (dark brown+blue=olive) or some variation of brown (dark brown+regular brown=? brown)

I say "maybe". Fifty-fifty shot of her being an Olive Egger or a Marans mutt.

(edited to add)
This is just by my definition which isn't the sole authority on EE's. For me, if it doesn't carry at least one copy of the blue egg gene, it's just a nice mutt. As it is, your chick is only 25% EE by genetics.

Last edited:
Did anyone on here ever order any EE's from Cackle Hatchery before? If so, can you post pics of them? It would be great so I know what i'm getting!
thumbsup.gif

My Rinn and Benct are both CackleHatchery EE pullets. I ordered them in Sept, they hatched the first Wed of Oct and were here on that Friday. So they're about four months old now I guess. I absolutely adore them. When they were babies they were absolute cuddle bugs. They'd sit on my or my daughter's shoulders all night snuggled under our hair watching TV with us. Now that they're a bit older they're less fond of being held but I think that's just the age they're at. They are still very outgoing and friendly and inquisitive. They've got to be right there whenever you're doing something outside. And do love to sit in our laps yet.

And those fluffy cheeks! Who could resist those faces <3

My Rinn and Benct are both CackleHatchery EE pullets. I ordered them in Sept, they hatched the first Wed of Oct and were here on that Friday. So they're about four months old now I guess. I absolutely adore them. When they were babies they were absolute cuddle bugs. They'd sit on my or my daughter's shoulders all night snuggled under our hair watching TV with us. Now that they're a bit older they're less fond of being held but I think that's just the age they're at. They are still very outgoing and friendly and inquisitive. They've got to be right there whenever you're doing something outside. And do love to sit in our laps yet.

And those fluffy cheeks! Who could resist those faces <3
Those are really pretty! Right now I don't have any that look like that but I want some!

Back
Top Bottom