Early rooster crowing

lleeme

Chirping
Apr 21, 2022
Water Valley, MS
I was out taking care of the adult chickens this morning when a wheezing high pitched cock a doodle do came out of the brooder next door. They are from a 6/1 surprise box from Cackle. Is that normal to crow so early? My brother had one several months old I had pegged for a rooster, he didn't crow until about 6 months, this one is barely 7 weeks. Should I think about caponing him?

I was out taking care of the adult chickens this morning when a wheezing high pitched cock a doodle do came out of the brooder next door. They are from a 6/1 surprise box from Cackle. Is that normal to crow so early? My brother had one several months old I had pegged for a rooster, he didn't crow until about 6 months, this one is barely 7 weeks. Should I think about caponing him?
My Leghorn cockerel tried to crow at about 8 weeks. Not unheard of, but early.

Why are you considering caponizing him? I've heard that it's a risky procedure.

I already have a rooster for my flock for one thing. I have around 9 layer aged hens, which is all Foghoen needs. I do have 28 chciks, several of which are roosters. I think I may want to keep one of them depending on their temperment. Caponing seems like the best thing to do to get tender flavorful meat once they are big. Even if not eaten, they will be more docile and not be mounting the hens causing stress.

I already have a rooster for my flock for one thing. I have around 9 layer aged hens, which is all Foghoen needs. I do have 28 chciks, several of which are roosters. I think I may want to keep one of them depending on their temperment. Caponing seems like the best thing to do to get tender flavorful meat once they are big. Even if not eaten, they will be more docile and not be mounting the hens causing stress.
Just checking. I try to talk folks looking to silence crowing roosters out of caponizing, but not for your purposes.

Back
Top Bottom