Dust baths and snowy weather

I use a plastic mixing pan (used in masonry). I tried using an old tire but it wasn't big enough for them to dust bathe. A portion of the run is covered. During the winter I use thick plastic to keep the snow and wind out.
I used 1/3 dirt, 1/3 all purpose construction sand, 1/3 food grade diatomaceous earth. I did have to wait for the dirt and sand to dry out completely before it was dust bath ready.
Now three birds can bathe at the same. Usually there is a line of birds waiting for their turn 🙂

Attachments

• 20211207_120952.jpg
    20211207_120952.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 6
Mine have 3 dust baths in protected areas which they use to varying degrees. Their favorite is a high-sided cat litter box inside their covered pen. However, they're just as happy to use the pen bedding (a mix of organic materials, mostly chopped straw and dry composted material).

The other two containers are small rigid pond liners that I'd never gotten around to using. The favorite of those is under a 6-foot plastic table in a protected area near the house (outside the pen). I don't think they use the 3rd one. 🙂

I use a mix of potting soil, sand, sandy soil, and coir. Sometimes I'll toss a small handful of chopped straw on top to pique their interest - works every time!

I put an Xtra large litter with dirt and sand in the coop during winter. They love it.
All these sound like great ideas to give your chickens access to a dust bath during inclement weather. My covered yard has a dirt floor they can scratch and dig until they finally manage to get a dust bath even in inclement weather. I also scatter hay and straw from the goats area that they refused to eat or they strewed around. The chickens love scratching and pecking through that. Hopefully I’m not passing on any terrible diseases. I do not give them the yucky saturated matted straw or hay that goats peed and pooped on. I just give them all that extra hay and straw that goats 🐐 have a tendency to pull out of the hay rack and leave on the floor. The chickens love to scratch through it. And underneath is that dirt floor in their covered area.

Last year I dug up some dirt from their favorite dust bath area & stored it in the shed in a 5 gal bucket for them to keep it dry. I kept a small plastic bin in their covered run & refilled as needed. They used it a lot when the ground was frozen.

I'm a slacker this year & didn't collect any dirt! I'm thinking of stopping at HD & getting some garden dirt or something & sand to mix together. If I can find something that doesn't have fertilizer in it.

If not I'm sure they'll just dust bathe in the coop shavings.
Mine didn't use it with just dirt from the garden center, so I mixed in some ashes the other day, and they went for it. I keep a large long shallow tub that has a cover and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom