Ducklings with adults?

Lacash72

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
The dynamics of my little group are changing...
I have: a bonded trii consisting of two 8 month old Welsh Harlequins (male and female) and a rescue mallard (female) that has stayed with us.

I have just introduced five 8 week old pekin ducklings slowly (have met through fence for couple of weeks)

The mallard is currently sitting on 10 eggs, due to hatch in around 6 days time.
The drake loves her and is always happy to see her when she appears for a swin and some food. The 3 of them are good together.
Will he be happy when she appears with ducklings in tow or should I keep her separate?
Or, should I separate the 5 pekins and let her and babies go back to being a trio (with babies)?

in my experience ive never had good luck with ducklings and drakes. my very first ducks were a pair of bonded mallards. she hatched out 12 ducklings. the drake killed 10 of them by drowning them in the pool..... i wasnt home but seen it on camera and was too late by the time i got there. i personally wouldnt let them go by the drakes..
Aww sorry to hear that, it's hard to know what they'll do isn't it, I think I'll keep her separate and treat them as newcomers and introduce slowly.. Better safe than sorry xxx

in my experience ive never had good luck with ducklings and drakes. my very first ducks were a pair of bonded mallards. she hatched out 12 ducklings. the drake killed 10 of them by drowning them in the pool..... i wasnt home but seen it on camera and was too late by the time i got there. i personally wouldnt let them go by the drakes..
Wow!

Back
Top Bottom