Duckling with a wet butt.

Madnienke

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2017
We just bought 2 crested ducklings and one is doing great but the other is smaller and is having trouble pooping. It’s backs up and strains to poop. Sometimes it poops other times nothing. It’s bottom is staying wet and it looks like it’s “stuck”. I’ve tried using a warm wash cloth to wipe gently, but still struggling. What can I do to help this baby?

We just bought 2 crested ducklings and one is doing great but the other is smaller and is having trouble pooping. It’s backs up and strains to poop. Sometimes it poops other times nothing. It’s bottom is staying wet and it looks like it’s “stuck”. I’ve tried using a warm wash cloth to wipe gently, but still struggling. What can I do to help this baby?
Awe poor thing!

Sounds like pasty butt, which is sometimes caused by high tempuratures and dehydration

What is your tempurature in the brooder?
How old are they?
are you feeding starter crumble ?

You can start by letting the duckling soak in warm water up to her butt for a few minuts, making sure they have water 24/7. And mix their food into a watery paste

Goodluck with your ducklings!

If you do soak your duckling make sure the water is nice an warm and when you take it out you pat dry and place right back under heat. Let us know if the soak helps usually they will poop as soon as the little butt his the water. Please check the temp in your brooder also. A pic of your set up would be nice an also the duckling.

Awe poor thing!

Sounds like pasty butt, which is sometimes caused by high tempuratures and dehydration

What is your tempurature in the brooder?
How old are they?
are you feeding starter crumble ?

You can start by letting the duckling soak in warm water up to her butt for a few minuts, making sure they have water 24/7. And mix their food into a watery paste

Goodluck with your ducklings!

Feeding duckling starter.
using a large tote with pine shavings And it’s kept in the house. I don’t have a therm but my house is between 75-80. seems To be eating and drinking but doesn’t seem to actually lay down.
not sure of the age, the were purchased at rural king a few days ago. I’ve been letting them soak for a few minutes. She/he will poop but it stays on the butt. Seems like the butt never dries.

If you do soak your duckling make sure the water is nice an warm and when you take it out you pat dry and place right back under heat. Let us know if the soak helps usually they will poop as soon as the little butt his the water. Please check the temp in your brooder also. A pic of your set up would be nice an also the duckling.

I’ll try to get a pic and post it.

Currently using a tote with pine shavings. We used this setup for my previous 2 and they did great. When she’s in the water she will back up and try to poop but stays on her butt.

Feeding duckling starter.
using a large tote with pine shavings And it’s kept in the house. I don’t have a therm but my house is between 75-80. seems To be eating and drinking but doesn’t seem to actually lay down.
not sure of the age, the were purchased at rural king a few days ago. I’ve been letting them soak for a few minutes. She/he will poop but it stays on the butt. Seems like the butt never dries.

Could you try and get the poop off with some nice warm water and gently tease the poop away from the feathers. Longer you leave it the more waste will build up around the vent.

You might find this link helpful-

https://the-chicken-chick.com/pasty-butt-in-chicks-causestreatmen/

Attachments

• 0834388B-FDF4-46A4-9F01-4BF9A151B96F.jpeg
    0834388B-FDF4-46A4-9F01-4BF9A151B96F.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 22
  • E34F54FC-85A8-459E-9ADF-BD4D8B181CCC.jpeg
    E34F54FC-85A8-459E-9ADF-BD4D8B181CCC.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 22
I’ll try to get a pic and post it.

Currently using a tote with pine shavings. We used this setup for my previous 2 and they did great. When she’s in the water she will back up and try to poop but stays on her butt.

Attachments

• 500CA4E1-D3CD-4DC3-B6B5-6086F8331FF3.jpeg
    500CA4E1-D3CD-4DC3-B6B5-6086F8331FF3.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 016D86AB-2313-4790-BA70-0BA1882F2F90.jpeg
    016D86AB-2313-4790-BA70-0BA1882F2F90.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom