Duckling w/ wry neck HELP!

backyard redneck

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
hi, one of my ducklings has wry neck or twisted neck. I read here on this site that medicated chick starter is not good becuase it contains too much medication and not enough niacin for ducks. My uneducated feed store guy does not carry non medicated gamebird starter, so we have been feeding med chick starter.

Noticed this past week one duckling was not growing like the others (pekin duck), and last night its neck was twisted into an s shape. Mom mixed the vitamins and electroiltes at 1/2 tsp to 1 gal and separated that duck and fed only that one the v e water. Today she is worse. her neck is almost twisting around to her back.

If i get the liquid baby viatmins do I still need to get some sort of additional vitamin b5? What dose of vitamins drops for a duck to recover from this? It looks pretty severe as the duck is having trouble with cordination and walking straight. should i just put her down? oh, she also seems to have cold as her voice is funny. she is about 2 to 3 weeks old

i meant to ask too, can ducks have apple vineger? And if so, how much, and what does it do for them? Will it help a cold? Ive read alot about sugar water for chickens, what does that do and should you give it to a sick duck, and how much sugar?

My duck seems to move around alot, just had a poop. I don't think she is able to get herself in the right position now to drink though. should I help her drink? and if I help her drink does she need water al the way up and in to the air holes on the beak by her face like when they normaly dip their beak?

I just don't know what to do. I love this duck but mom doesnt want it to be in pain or suffer. i dont know if this is something that can be fixed or not.

Back
Top Bottom